Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Winterize Question

My next door neighbor told me all i needed to do for winterization is pour sea foam in the fuel tank and hook a hose up to the back flush system, put anti-freeze into a bucket seal it than use compressed air to shoot it into the system while the ski is started........ Doesnt sound like the right thing to do???? how wrong is he?

I personally dont use Sea Foam, I use Stabil.

Most people I know hook up to the back flush port and force antifreeze into it, I use a drill pump, neighbor puts it on a longer hose and puts it high in the air. I have never heard of pressurizing a bucket, seems like a lot of work compared to using a drill pump. When you get antifreeze flowing out the back, stop it going in, and rev the engine to blow out as much as you can out the waterbox.

He forgot a step, pull fuel rail with injectors attached, then shoot fogging oil into each port for a few seconds while cranking with throttle held wide open. (holding it wide open is "drowned mode" where the ECU will not inject fuel and spark while cranking)

+1
    Just wondering how many of you guys that don't ride in winter pull the water box and dump the water out?
    Lol

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

Winterize Question

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Just wondering how many of you guys that don't ride in winter pull the water box and dump the water out?
    Lol
    I did and the. I turkey basted some rv antifreeze inside just for the anti corrosion factor

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cascivic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Lol
    I did and the. I turkey basted some rv antifreeze inside just for the anti corrosion factor

I always empty mine if not running for any length of time. :
    Don't care for any moisture that close to head., go figure.
    My TDR box holds a qt no matter how you try to run water out.

+1
    Pressurizing a bucket would be like using a small week sprayer with AF inside.
    I've used this for several years with good results.

7. +1 by:

So is using a long hose hooked up to the back, with a funnel attached, and held up high is good enough to force antifreeze into the water box? My ski is garage kept, and I doubt it ever reaches freezing temps. Also how hard is it to remove the water box and just empty it? On my 09 PX I see the fuel rail is held on by inverted torx fasteners, but didn't see anything holding the coil down, do they just pull out?

Quote Originally Posted by cbrseadude View Post
    So is using a long hose hooked up to the back, with a funnel attached, and held up high is good enough to force antifreeze into the water box? My ski is garage kept, and I doubt it ever reaches freezing temps. Also how hard is it to remove the water box and just empty it? On my 09 PX I see the fuel rail is held on by inverted torx fasteners, but didn't see anything holding the coil down, do they just pull out?
    It is enough, but it is real slow. I personally don't like the idea myself. A drill pump is only 20 bucks or less, and it goes really quick. Why are you asking about the coils? Do you mean the injectors? You simply disconnect the coil connectors to be able to pull the fuel rail high enough out of the way.

+1
    About 10 yrs ago I built my winterization tank from a 14 gal sprayer tank with a 12v washdown pump. It's like flushing with water only I use the pink stuff. The -50F freeze point is all you need unless you're in the arctic circle or something. Now if I wanted to replace that system, Harbor Freight actually sells a 12v sprayer for I believe around $89. If you're winterizing lots of skis it's a good investment. Plus you can be mobile with it.

Quote Originally Posted by seadoosource View Post
    About 10 yrs ago I built my winterization tank from a 14 gal sprayer tank with a 12v washdown pump. It's like flushing with water only I use the pink stuff. The -50F freeze point is all you need unless you're in the arctic circle or something. Now if I wanted to replace that system, Harbor Freight actually sells a 12v sprayer for I believe around $89. If you're winterizing lots of skis it's a good investment. Plus you can be mobile with it.
    It is a lot easier to use a drill pump. I have a drill pump setup with a short length of hose out each end, screw the hose into the flush port, chuck a cordless drill to it, open up a gallon jug of RV antifreeze, stick the open end of hose into it and run the cordless drill. I can setup and winterize 2-3 skis in the time it will take you to fuck around with a washer pump setup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information