1200R First Build Question

Just completed my first build and I am concerned about the compression in the #2 cylinder. If I put my thumb over the #1 cylinder the compression feels good, so does the #3 cylinder, but the #2 feels very weak. I made dang sure before I put the rings in that they were turned the right way, so what could I be missing? I still have the engine on the bench.

Any ideas? Or am I being premature?

Banned User
    +1
    base gasket installed correctly? the tab should be towards the front of the ski? jug tightened per specs? new or old jug? sleeved jug? i think more information may be needed here

+1
    You definitely need a compression gauge so you can get precise compression numbers. You also need to do a leak-down test on that motor, especially after a rebuild. There are threads here that detail how to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    base gasket installed correctly? the tab should be towards the front of the ski? jug tightened per specs? new or old jug? sleeved jug? i think more information may be needed here

Base Gasket was correct, Torqued per spec, Jugs mic'ed out all the same. Rings were correct. Could I have gotten a bad base gasket? Dont have a Leak Down tester but I guess I need to get one.

Ran a compression check. Had 155 on #1 & #3 and 135 on # 2

+1
    Look inside the exhaust ports and make sure all the power valves are in correctly and opening and closing correctly and at the same time. also check the PV shaft connectors for ware.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by theheisk View Post
    Ran a compression check. Had 155 on #1 & #3 and 135 on # 2
    thats an issue. your running aftermarket or milled head correct? should not be that much difference if new build

Well, I honestly don't know if the head has been milled. But, if I'm getting 155psi it couldn't be the factory cut could it. I inspected the head and it looks good, but I didn't put a straight edge on it. I will do that tomorrow. When I took the engine apart the # 2 cylinder was destroyed so the head could be bad possibly?

Banned User
    +1
    155 is not stock compression but your gauge could be not giving true numbers

+1
    If your motor was put back completely stock and your gauge is spot on accurate then the #2 cylinder would be making normal compression with just reeds installed and no carbs installed and rings well lubed. But the #1&2 cylinders are running high witch usually means the power valves are down on those two cylinders and up on the middle one. But if your gauge is not accurate and reading high then the #1&2 cylinders might be at normal compression and the middle cylinder is low. Possible cause could be a warped head or bad gaskets or mismatched base gaskets and even a bad reed not sealing on the down stroke. It could be a ring upside down and sticking. The best thing to do is a leak down test. If it has no leaks and everything is installed correctly you may need to break it in and then do another compression test.

Thread Information