Ski takes on water while not sitting in the water......

Ok here is the deal... I have a set of 2006 RXP n RXT skis, and they both had a little cavitation so i put OEM wear rings in them from the get go, as soon as i noticed it. But after changing the wear ring in the RXP it still has the same amount of cavitation, and there was no visable damage to the veins in the pump or the factory impeller. But it seems that the RXP takes on water while not running just sitting in the water. The family went camping a few weeks ago and the skis stayed in the water over night and the RXP had water up to the super charger so i pulled the plugs and it took bout an hour of slowwww riding around to get most of the water out. I have read several post and the only thing i can come up with is a new Carbon Ring. Does this sound like my problem, when out riding and floating and messing around for about 4-5hrs at a time it never takes on water. I read about the o-rings around the plugs leaking from being cracked, but there are NO o-rings around the drain plugs on either ski and the RXT has NO issues so I kinda looked passed that. I have NOT filled the hull up with water beings it is freezing temps at night. Thanks for any help in advance...

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    It sounds like a carbon seal failure to me.Try to fill the ski with water when its on the trailer and see if you have any leaks.

+1
    if it was a carbon seal failure the ski would sink.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    if it was a carbon seal failure the ski would sink.
    This is what he said:
    But it seems that the RXP takes on water while not running just sitting in the water. The family went camping a few weeks ago and the skis stayed in the water over night and the RXP had water up to the super charger so i pulled the plugs and it took bout an hour of slowwww riding around to get most of the water out.

+1

Ski takes on water while not sitting in the water......

Mine does the same thing lol. I have a brand new carbon ring and bellows and it still seeps in while its not running. New o rings on the plugs as well. Bone dry after I've been running all day. If I leave it in the water over night I try to pull it up on the bank as far as I can on a piece of carpet. And put my bilge pump on auto. My thinking was a thru hull fitting or exhaust outlet but they're all sealed up good.

It would def sink if it was left in the water sitting long enough, but takes on NO water while riding. If I am correct dosnt the carbon ring leak while driving... correct me if I am wrong cause im kinda lost. Should I put new o-rings on the drain plugs?

+1
    You get water while your driving but the OEM shiphon tubes take it out.Thats why you dont see water while driving!

+1
    Easy take the seat off put it in the water and see where it leaks if its carbon ring u will see it drip or even ride it with the seat off bad carbon ring will spray water.

Thread Information