+1

Offshore Jetski Fishing Matagorda Texas 11-5-2012

I told the wife I wasn't going fishing today and that I'd work on projects here at the house. Not the best way to spend a day off, but ya gotta keep em happy, right?
    But by 10:00 am, I had paid some bills online and ordered a new cell phone to replace the Galaxy Skyrocket that fell in the bait bucket last week. And so I cruised by http://www.gomatagorda.com to check out the surf webcam and it was just too much to bear. Flat surf. 2 mph winds blowing from onshore being recorded on the beach weather station. I was no where ready to go, but decided I had to. I emailed mama to tell her I'd have her a fish dinner when she got home from work and I packed up and headed for the gas station to fill the ski and truck. By the time I was loaded and made the hour trek to Matagorda, it was already a little after noon and I had to get off the water by 3-3:30 to make it home by 5:00. Time was short, but it was just too nice to not go.
    I put the ski in at Rawklings Bait Camp, but Rawlings had no bait today and I was miles from another bait camp. Oh well, I'll have to net my own. I tried a few places on the edge of the river, but even with a 16 foot net, I was coming up empty. So, I motored out to the center of the river and stood on the ski throwing the net. Two good throws yielded a couple dozen 6-8 inch bunker and one good sized whiting, so I headed out the jetties into the Gulf. The flat seas made traveling 40 mph an easy thing. Only the occassional roller put air under the ski and so it was taking much less time than usual to make the first rig. When about a mile left to the seven mile rig, I corssed over what appeared to be a river flowing through the middle of the Gulf. Maybe 30-50 feet across, it was a dead calm space running right to left as far as I could see in both directions. Wierd.
    But in a few seconds I decided it was too wierd to not go back and fish. So I spun around and pulled into the space and casted a bunker out and waited. After only maybe five minutes, I was seeing no action in the water and that rig was just right over there, so I decided to pull up and head on over to where there were bound to be some fish. As I wizzed the bait toward the surface, I caught a glimpse of some 20 fish that seemed to be quite large chasing it toward the surface, but they sounded again before I could make out what they were. I though Jack Crevalle maybe. I had seen what I thought to be silver fish with yellow and so I dropped the bait back down. wait wait wait WHAM! It got nailed and my 50 lb spiderwire snapped with a CRRRRRACK!
    I reloaded and threw back in. NADA NADA NADA. Probably a big Jack I thought and I reeled up and ran on out to the rig.

I dropped in next to the rig and had my bait cleaned off the hook in 20 seconds by triggerfish. And another. And another. OK, I moved a little ways and tried to get to the bottom as fast as I could. Seconds later, HOOKUP! After a nice tug of war, I brought up about a 30 inch Bull Red with double spots. Nice! I let her go to play another day and tossed another bait down... but I had drifted maybe 100 feet from the rig now. So, I cranked up my bait so I could move back to the structure, but what's this? Something chasing my bait... No it's GOT my bait. WHOA! HANG ON.
    Just then something broke the surface to my right, but I didn;t see it. I'm thinking SPinner Shark, then it suddenly leaps to my left, but again I didn;t really see it. Then it jumps again and I see it come up out of the water. OMG... Mahi Mahi! Way cool! THis thing spends about 3 of the next ten minutes out of the water as it jumps and jumps and jumps higher than my head. It takes line at will and then frolicks in the sky a bit... wash, rinse, repeat. Finally it surfaces, then makes another run, then surfaces and makes another run, and... man this thing is tough. But the spiderwire holds and the little bass baitcaster's drag holds up and the fish comes alongside.

And soon I get him on the ski.

A little later, I hooked another decent fish and wound up with a nice little 38 inch Ling (Cobia), but I decided it was too small and threw him back in hopes of a larger one or more Mahi Mahi... a decision I have since come to regret. Ya just don;t throw back a legal Ling. LOL
    I later decided that the fish in the calm space I had seen were more Mahi. I just never expected to catch any only a few miles offshore. I also saw a number of other large fish I could not identify. They were probably about 5 pound fish. They may have been very large Spade fish, but I didn;t really see the angle fish shape and they had no stripes. Just large bodied fish that were maybe 24 inches long and 14+ inches deep/tall. All of my bait was too large for them though so no interest there.
    I caught a couple more large reds

But I only kept the one Mahi.

And here's the money shot for Tim who had these stickers made/
    Last edited by Rev Ryder; 11-05-2012 at 10:47 PM.

I know I'm late but cool report Rev. Give me a shout next time you head out. I live in Houston and would like to have someone to run offshore with.

+1
    I know I'm really late as well but man that trip you had was awesome! I guess this is what keeps us going back huh? I have not been on GH too much lately as I've been trying to get adjusted to my new addition to the family. BTW thanks for the sticker picture.

+1
    Thanks for the time and fishing trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 504tim View Post
    I know I'm really late as well but man that trip you had was awesome! I guess this is what keeps us going back huh? I have not been on GH too much lately as I've been trying to get adjusted to my new addition to the family. BTW thanks for the sticker picture.

where could one acquire such a picture?

+1
    Talk about someone who hasn't been around much in a while. I trashed the engine in my FX and have been without a ski for some time. Thinking about trading one of my bikes for another one. Still have mama's 02 GTX RFI, but I'm not that keen on going offshore alone with the 2 smoke. I really need to get out. It IS getting that time of year when magic happens.

Tenacious,
    504TIM is the man for those stickers. Give him a PM. Since I posted those pics, I rolled that SUV I'm OK, but my stickers were lost. I may need to hit him up again too. Anyway, I wore em proudly while the truck lasted. I miss that ol' Suzuki. She would go anywhere.

1CleanSUV and anyone else,
    I hope to get out soon and unless I get a better ski quick, I won't go without some company. I'm sure anxious to get out there and do some battle with some good grocery fish. Snapper, Ling, and hopefully Mahi again.

Thanks for the nice comments yall.

+1
    OH,
    Sorry Tim, I meant to say......

CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!!

Thread Information