Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chinderah, New South Wales, Australia, Australia

Ultra 150 differences in years!? Help!

Hey guys,

I have been researching to the point of going blue with jet skis and finally come to the decision of getting an ultra 150. (i hope this will be the right choice still!)
    So i have two im looking at at the moment and i was pretty set on getting the green modelled one. But there arent many on the market here.
    I found an 01 (Red) for a bit cheaper and more convenient location
    I also found a 05 (green) a bit more $ and a lot further away (would have to pay for a pre purch inspection from a local guy and get it transported)

Can people tell me is it true i should stay away from the red ones? (as they are a fair bit different?) Would it be much better to go green?

Thanks in advance,

Jess!

the good 'ol Ultra 150 two strokes. some pleasant memories for me indeed. Models years were 1999 to 2005. the 1999 model year had a "hotter / more advanced" ignition so you had to run very expensive Plugs, hence, 1999 model years were the "fastest" by a little bit. 2000 to 2005 the same except for colors. These Ski were notorious for going through Pump Bearings. Sometimes every 25 hours the Pump Bearings would go out. These Skis could be a handful in the ocean and roughher water; the Ski would change direction in rougher water without warning. But if you spent enough time on it, you could "predict" when it would do this. Not a show stopper per se, but something to consider. All in all not a bad Ski.

You may want to consider an STX-R Kawasaki. This was a 2002 to 2005 model year Ski. It had the Ultra 150 engine but with a much more stable hull platform. these Skis were light on the Bow, but they would stay straight . . . even in some pretty bad water. Hope this helps. JB

Your a legend thanks for clearing that up you may have just save me a good few dollars. As soon as i get it i think ill familiarise myself with the pump bearings and teach myself how to rebuild them

I looked at the stx-r and was under the impression that they were a bit more bulky and i thought they ultra may be a bit nimbler and lighter?

Your a legend thanks for clearing that up you may have just save me a good few dollars. As soon as i get it i think ill familiarise myself with the pump bearings and teach myself how to rebuild them

I looked at the stx-r and was under the impression that they were a bit more bulky and i thought they ultra may be a bit nimbler and lighter?

+1
    The early '99s had the advanced ignition, hull number 41803 and lower. I've got a late '99 and run the expensive plugs. Still using the original plugs, they last a long time.

Some of the differences are: starter mounting flange, exhaust manifold bolts (I upgraded mine to the larger ones used in later years), the fuel gauge sensor.

They're great 'Skis, but you MUST inspect/replace the oil lines. Also, check for fraying of the oil pump cable. The triple pisser mod is a very worthwhile addition. The pumps need periodic rebuilding, make sure to get the kit for the later models.

Modifying the trim to give more UP is a very worthwhile thing to do, too.

+1
    The early '99s had the advanced ignition, hull number 41803 and lower. I've got a late '99 and run the expensive plugs. Still using the original plugs, they last a long time.

Some of the differences are: starter mounting flange, exhaust manifold bolts (I upgraded mine to the larger ones used in later years), the fuel gauge sensor.

They're great 'Skis, but you MUST inspect/replace the oil lines. Also, check for fraying of the oil pump cable. The triple pisser mod is a very worthwhile addition. The pumps need periodic rebuilding, make sure to get the kit for the later models.

So those differences wont be the case with the 01 model, 01 and 05 are all the same? Which is good cos i will be comparing 2 of the same skis.
    Is it easy to inspect the oil lines when i look at it before buying? Im going to buy a compression tested and do a compression test too.

I will definately do the triple pisser mod ive red about that a bit in my researches.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post

Steve

I see your in Texas.....did you ever deal with a company called Watercross of Texas?.....years ago @ 2002 I had a few Ultra 150s and an Stxr and he used to make some good stuff and mods to those platforms......I wonder what happened to him....My fast 150 ran 69.7 for about 150 hrs...I found if you keep them under 70 mph the motors last longer

+1
    I've heard of Watercross of Texas. I might have even bought some parts from him, but don't remember for sure.

A search came up with this contact info: 1901 N Las Vegas Trl, Fort Worth, TX 76108 817-246-2113

would you say 7k aus is an ok price? for the 05 model real tidy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information