Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Just purchased RXP 215, few basic questions

First, hello to everyone. You all have a fantastic website with a ton of information! This website is literally one of the major reasons I even purchased a ski in the first place!

As mentioned, I just purchased an 04' RXP 215 with 109hrs on it, the supercharger has been rebuilt (supposedly 20hrs ago).

I am up in Minnesota and was able to get out today and put some time on it.

Few questions/problems:

1. The oil light comes on occasionally and goes into limp mode. It has oil (if anything is over filled), I let it warm up fully, make sure it is level, and it is on the top, or even above the curve portion of the dip stick. I have read a few places that these early RXP's may have faulty oil level sensors. Is there any truth to that? Can overfilling the oil cause the light to come on?

2. In this cold water (42F) I can run 67-68MPH (on the tac, so 64-65 in reality I would guess) at 7600RPM. I take that as a good number, making full power. I am contemplating pulling the SC and sending it in just to be safe. It does have the 07 SeaDoo rebuild kit installed, but again, that was 20hrs ago supposedly.
    Besides speed, are there any procedures for checking SC health?

3. This is a silly question, but removing the engine cowl. I removed all 5 bolts holding it on, but still cannot get it to budge! Is there a certain direction it needs to be removed in?

Thanks again for all of the help!

Banned User
    +1
    1. Let it come up to temp before getting up to speed...I have heard the sensors will freak out, mine does if i don't let it warm up right away...ALSO, remove some oil. Its best to measure the oil when the hull is level (put level on rub rail) and it measures about 1/2-2/3rd on the stick between the bends...Over filling, or even full to top bend, will make you loose rpms's...There is no oil pan like in a car, so to much oil and the crank will swim in it....Pull out oil and you could gain UP TO 300 rpm....

2. 7600 is a little low, you want to be 8100 for the 04/05 year RXP.....So take some oil out and see what happens........Do you mean 08 rebuild kit? As long as it has the metal washers, or was rebuild with a current rebuild kit in the past 3-4 years, then you are fine. Since it is holding 7600 I'm leaning towards too much oil....

3. The rubber seal on the bottom of the cowl is just stuck...Hit UP on the rear grab handle from the side, it should pop....Then coat with WD40 before reinstalling....And you just need to do the front 2 and the rear bolt, the inside ones aren't really needed if you plan to have it on/off for modding and checking things....

AND welcome to the forum!

--Danny

3. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks Danny!

I will pull some oil tonight and try again tomorrow. After that it looks like the temps are going to fall through off so it may be my last shot!

The oil was above the upper bend so that certainly is not ideal... Where do you pull oil from? Where the filter sits?

Thanks again for the help!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

You need a sucker down the dipstick tube.

6. +1 by:

+1

Just purchased RXP 215, few basic questions

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    You need a sucker down the dipstick tube.
    Hehehe

+1
    Thanks again guys. I will take some oil out today and give it a shot.
    If you guys dont mind, here are a few more noob questions:

1. I purchased a few cans of fluid film as recommended on here. I have read that one should spray down all metal surfaces in the engine compartment and nozzle, vts, opas, etc with it after each ride. Even electric connections! Is this the general thought in terms of corrosion protection? I ride in lake water and will take all the panels out after each ride as well.

2. Driving habits. Maybe I am just paranoid and being to cautious, but how the hell do these things survive running wide open and flying through the air every day, all day?

As mentioned this is my first ski, I do come from a racing background and only have fun running WOT. I understand these things are designed to take some abuse, but is it ok to run WOT most of the time, with proper maintenance? As mentioned I will be lake riding, so our BIG waves are maybe 4-5ft, so I assume that jumping will not be an issue compared to some of you ocean riders? obviously lifting off throttle in air.

3. I am concerned with having an early 4tec about the exhaust valves corroding. I am pulling the water box this winter to help stop that. But after riding in the summer, would it be a good idea to just fire it up on the trailer, give a few revs to clear the water box and then shut it down like normal?

Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by TangoDown; 11-10-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Grammar

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    04 with only 7600 RPM - Buds update done and not had the piggy back mod maybe??

Am sure one of the real pros will have more info if it may be whats holding your RPM's back.

From what I know, if your ski has ever been hooked up to a Seadoo main computer called BUDS, the software would have been updated.

The drawback is that after the software was installed, the dealer should have installed an inline resistor on the engine knock sensor line. If the dealer did not install one, this can be the cause of why your RPM's are so low.

Search this forum for 'piggyback' and you should find something, I think Jerry (Greenhulk) or someone even wrote a sticky on it.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ight=278002050
    Last edited by Badvgood; 11-10-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Link to thread added

10. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the info Badvgood.

I was able to run it today with proper oil level and still only pulling 7500RPM at 66mph (48F water, 65F air temps).

The check oil light still comes on. But I have determined it is only when I am coming off the throttle and it triggers at 3000RPM and decelerating.

I will make separate threads for the RPM thing and oil light.

Thanks again for the help

+1
    Ok here is something interesting. I was looking at the ECU plugs to see if the piggy back was plugged in and I found a plug zip tied to the harness (not plugged into anything) and It looks identical to the piggy back plug. The only numbers it has on it are the following: RKT97324*R00* then 665340 followed by Mesarosova and 05-13-2004.

Is this the origional plug or the updated version?

I will be heading to the dealer tomorrow to get the maintenance reminder cleared and see what they say about the update and what plug this is.

+1
    Good luck at the stealership...

Make sure you don't bend over because they will surely screw you...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information