Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

carrying extra fuel the easy way

gday guys been toying with this idea for some time, i know and have seen the steve friebe and tbm set ups on the yamahas and know of other front mounted tanks for the 300. im looking at setting this up as easy as possible utilizing easy to get parts and no mods to the oem set up.
    i found this boat fuel tank in my workshop so im doimg all my tests with it first, note; i have found many other tanks and sizes on ebay or in boat shops.
    the one pictured is 45ltrs, im hoping to strap it on the rear deck, i have removed the oem fueltank breather rubber hose from the fueltank nipple and i will fit another shorter piece of fuel hose to this and join it to the oem hose with a quick connect, this will allow easy connection and a bit more hose to work with plus allow it to be returned to oem later on.
    the idea is to run a fuel line from the oem breather nipple to the pick up in the rear tank and run the breather from the rear tank to the oem breather tube keeping it all original utilizing the oem one way valve, the hoses will run in under my rear seat through the rear vent down the side of the hull.
    so as you are riding it is automatically drawing fuel from the rear tank emptying it first, thus no need to unstrap and tip jerrys into the oem tank.
    what i am asking has anyone tried this before other than the yammy guys i know of? also has anyone used the quick connects i have linked too or are there others avaialable that i havent seen?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200840567...84.m1423.l2649

cheers this system will possibly work on any ski

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121110_161046.jpg 
Views:	1347 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	286937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121110_161148.jpg 
Views:	1378 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	286936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121110_161017.jpg 
Views:	1394 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	286938  

I like the "thinking outside the box", but I think this will affect the handling of the craft in anything other than very smooth water at slower speeds. The nice thing about the Friebe / TBM design is that the extra fuel was more towards mid ship and was less noticeable.

I have ridden an Ultra with an auxillary Tank on the back and I did not like how the Ski rode. I think putting "something" in the belly of the Bow as low as you can is the easist / best bet. Or, on the Starboard side of the Ski (aft) isn't there room there for a Fuel Bladder where an Waterbox used to be? I think on the 300's there's room there for a 4 gallon apparatus or so.

It would be nice to see this Ski go farther on a Tank of gas (other than in ECO mode). JB

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    I've had two jerrys on the back before (about the same weight as this setup), it's not that bad really. Still very controllable. I've carried a passenger with jerrys on the back too.

We just did a run (20 or so skis). We filled them all up aftetwards. The 300x was about 15% worse than the supercharged Yami (FZR) on a smooth water run. BUT the 300x used 60% more fuel than a Seadoo GTI !!!

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    I've had two jerrys on the back before (about the same weight as this setup), it's not that bad really. Still very controllable. I've carried a passenger with jerrys on the back too.

We just did a run (20 or so skis). We filled them all up aftetwards. The 300x was about 15% worse than the supercharged Yami (FZR) on a smooth water run. BUT the 300x used 60% more fuel than a Seadoo GTI !!!
    how much fuel (in liters) did the GTI use mal

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    I like the "thinking outside the box", but I think this will affect the handling of the craft in anything other than very smooth water at slower speeds. The nice thing about the Friebe / TBM design is that the extra fuel was more towards mid ship and was less noticeable.

I have ridden an Ultra with an auxillary Tank on the back and I did not like how the Ski rode. I think putting "something" in the belly of the Bow as low as you can is the easist / best bet. Or, on the Starboard side of the Ski (aft) isn't there room there for a Fuel Bladder where an Waterbox used to be? I think on the 300's there's room there for a 4 gallon apparatus or so.

It would be nice to see this Ski go farther on a Tank of gas (other than in ECO mode). JB
    i have 2 extra tanks on fzs and the handling always seems normal to me
    you have to remember that on a ride where the tanks are added everyone else on the ride also has extra fuel on board
    but with an aux tank it empties first
    so you will return to normal handling before the guys that need to pull up and refuel

7. +1 by:

+1
    jb i appreciate the feedback thats why i posted, more than 80% of my riding has been done with 50ltrs=approx 50kg of fuel strapped on the rear, yes the ski may handle a little different i have even carried passengers with the fuel there. i have ridden in surf and flat water and incounted no issues other than the pain of removing the jerrys to then empty into the ski. this will make that job easier and like kev said the accessory tank will empty first. i have also carried the 60ltrs+ upfront only on flat water river rides its fine whilst you are moving but when you slow down the ski does plow some what, big deal we all love our sport and adapt to the different stresses we put on our skis and bodies whilst taking the ski away from its general beach set up.

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post

how much fuel (in liters) did the GTI use mal
    Only 35 Litres!!! Not bad hey? He rode pretty hard too.

+1

carrying extra fuel the easy way

He had no choice but to ride hard lol.
    35 is pretty good though

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    gday guys been toying with this idea for some time, i know and have seen the steve friebe and tbm set ups on the yamahas and know of other front mounted tanks for the 300. im looking at setting this up as easy as possible utilizing easy to get parts and no mods to the oem set up.
    i found this boat fuel tank in my workshop so im doimg all my tests with it first, note; i have found many other tanks and sizes on ebay or in boat shops.
    the one pictured is 45ltrs, im hoping to strap it on the rear deck, i have removed the oem fueltank breather rubber hose from the fueltank nipple and i will fit another shorter piece of fuel hose to this and join it to the oem hose with a quick connect, this will allow easy connection and a bit more hose to work with plus allow it to be returned to oem later on.
    the idea is to run a fuel line from the oem breather nipple to the pick up in the rear tank and run the breather from the rear tank to the oem breather tube keeping it all original utilizing the oem one way valve, the hoses will run in under my rear seat through the rear vent down the side of the hull.
    so as you are riding it is automatically drawing fuel from the rear tank emptying it first, thus no need to unstrap and tip jerrys into the oem tank.
    what i am asking has anyone tried this before other than the yammy guys i know of? also has anyone used the quick connects i have linked too or are there others avaialable that i havent seen?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200840567...84.m1423.l2649

cheers this system will possibly work on any ski

the Colonil has a system like your doing.
    plug and play.
    pm Denny.

+1
    finished product, worked nicely, might even get the tank painted blue pics show the quick connect taps, hose routing and custom ratchet tie downs only thing i might add is quick connects at the fuel tank so i can transport without the hose connected, also the quick connects self seal when released.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121115_160257.jpg 
Views:	719 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	287215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121115_160244.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	287216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121115_160113.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	287217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121115_190543.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	287218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121115_160350.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	287219  

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information