Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Picked up a 2000 zxi last night. Swap carbs from a 96' ??

So I picked up a real nice 2000 zxi 1100 last night. Will now sell the 96' .before I do I was wondering if it is worth the trouble to swap the carb banks? What is involved? From my understanding the 96' carbs are better. Just not sure if they will be a direct swap.do I change the manifolds also? Any mods needed to do the swap? Figured I'm pulling the cv carbs to clean and do oil lines so may as well swap them.

Well the cv carbs on the 96 went good.Did not change the manifolds.just plugged the extra hole in the block. What doi do to compensate for the hole near the manifold by the #1 cyl.? Can I tee in to the single line near the rear(for the 00'with cdk's)? Seems the throttle cables are different? The 96 now with the cv carbs is too short,and the 00' with cdk's is to long. What are some remedies for this issue? ( looks like a bi#@h to swap the cables over?) Not enough in the adjusters.

+1
    When making the swap between the CV carb rack and the CDK carbs...you also need to change the intake manifold along with the flame arrestor that was originally designed to run with that set of carbs.
    All three items (intake, carbs, flame arrestor) are made for each other and need to stay together to run right.

As far as cable lengths, find a local motorcycle or bicycle store/shop and they will have what you need to modify your cable lengths.

Gonna swap cables,and add a tee to the single pulse line tomorrow. Should get me right. What is the difference in the manifolds? Look the same to me??

+1
    I haven't had any trouble with CV carbs. I run StaBil all the time and keep the tank filled during storage to prevent condensation.

You can't get the accelerator pump for the old carbs anymore.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicaz66 View Post
    Gonna swap cables,and add a tee to the single pulse line tomorrow. Should get me right. What is the difference in the manifolds? Look the same to me??
    The CV carb intake manifold has a balance tube mounted on it along with the tubes in the base of the manifold between the carbs. The intake for the CDK doesn't have either one. I'm no expert on intakes among the model years but the ones I have seen with the CV and CDK's are that way.

EDITED to add...my mistake, the intakes are the same on the 96 and 2000 ZXI 1100's. Guess I was thinking of the intakes on the 900's.
    Last edited by TexasZ; 11-11-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added info to correct mistake

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I haven't had any trouble with CV carbs. I run StaBil all the time and keep the tank filled during storage to prevent condensation.
    I don't know for sure one way or another but I was told to not store gas for several months in the tank because of the ethanol (usually 10%) that is added to gas nowadays. What's your advice on that?

You can't get the accelerator pump for the old carbs anymore.
    Might check with the Polaris members, I think they might have a source for the diaphragms if one is needed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I haven't had any trouble with CV carbs.
    That's great...but when an adjustment is needed, what do you do then? There is so little info out there about adjusting the CV carbs that it is confusing to folks who do not have experience with them. And as we know with kawi two strokes, one mistake that leans the motor out and it's very bad results in a short amount of time.

I wish someone with experience on adjustments with CV carbs would write a "how to" article.

Both skis run with perfect compression. The 2000 had a weird slight sputter then would clear out.barely noticeable. Now the 96' has it. ( with the cv carbs.) plan is to mod the 2000 zxi and sell the 96.Would rather have the cdk's on it. So in a nutshell ( I could not find this info anywhere). When swapping the cdk's onto a later model that had the cv carbs. You will need to obviously swap the carb rack,throttle cable, air box,then deal with the pulse line.96 has a hole at each end near #'s 1 and 3. The 2000 only has a hole near #3. Options are to drill new hole or tee off the single hole. Anyone else care to chime in on this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicaz66 View Post
    Options are to drill new hole or tee off the single hole.
    Drill the new hole. You will need to remove the reed cage so you can put a rag in there to stop the drill shavings from going any further in until you clean them out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information