Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ski ?

Anyone Ski ?

I went downhill sking in Wi this weekend and it was awesome probably one of the best sports ive ever expeirenced. Im looking to get some skis of my own and have no idea was a good brand to look out for wanted to see if any of you guys could help out. Any input will be highley appreaciated. Thank you.

+1
    i ski. i have a pair of dynastar's and my favorite ski's are the short trick ski's. about 2 feet long. they call them snow blades i think. got to be very careful when going down straightaways you can get going very very fast and they begin to wobble. we have clocked oursleves at 58 mph with a gps going downhill. very scary,very fun

Quote Originally Posted by SUCKMYWAKE View Post
    i ski. i have a pair of dynastar's and my favorite ski's are the short trick ski's. about 2 feet long. they call them snow blades i think. got to be very careful when going down straightaways you can get going very very fast and they begin to wobble. we have clocked oursleves at 58 mph with a gps going downhill. very scary,very fun
    Yeah ive heard of the short skis there either snow blades or ski boards i forget which one. Thats a good idea with the gps i was wondering how fast i was going. I've never skied before but by the end of the day i was allready going down black diamonds.

Volkl - Good for all sorts of skiing. Stable at high speeds, flexible on moguls and wide enough for powder. I bought some AC-2 Unlimiteds and they've been great. They are good for Intermediate to Advanced. AC-1 you will get too advanced for them and AC-3 will be your next step in a few years.

Get good advice on boots. They need to be really comfortable.

Good luck, and protect your knees. Blown mine out on the moguls too often to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze View Post
    Volkl - Good for all sorts of skiing. Stable at high speeds, flexible on moguls and wide enough for powder. I bought some AC-2 Unlimiteds and they've been great. They are good for Intermediate to Advanced. AC-1 you will get too advanced for them and AC-3 will be your next step in a few years.

Get good advice on boots. They need to be really comfortable.

Good luck, and protect your knees. Blown mine out on the moguls too often to remember.
    So do you think the ac-2's are good for starters to intermediate? I learned pretty quick so i dont want to buy some then have to buy better ones later on. So will the ac-2's be pretty good even though i could be on the ac-3's?
    Last edited by ReDevilRXP; 02-13-2007 at 06:03 PM.

I've been skiing for 10+ years and for once looked long and hard at what skis I wanted. You've obiously picked it up really fast if you're doing black runs already. I normally ride steep groomed blues (40%), not so steep mogul blues (10%), black moguls (20%) and tree skiing (30%).

I plan on having mine for the next 5 years or so, and don't expect to grow out of them - skiing wise.

I think you will find as you get better, that the type of run you do won't change too much, you will just do it better. If you are in any doubt, you could go to the AC-3, but they may make it harder to improve as they are a bit stiffer, which can lead to it being more difficult to carve a turn unless you are technically very good.

There is an english web site called www.skireviews.co.uk (I think), and it can be a helpful guide too as it details where the skis excel and where they don't do so well.

I would certainly stay with a wood core, which takes away the trendy Heads, Atomics and the like. They are just too wide and don't hold their shape too well after a couple of years. Even the Rossignol Bandit series (which are still a fantastic ski) have failings at higher speeds - they chatter and the front of the ski loses contact with the snow.

Feel free to ask more questions. I spent months looking before I brought mine, and everyone has different needs and desires.

G'Luck.

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    Skiing black diamonds, first day out... awesome RedDevil!
    Where did you ski?

I have skied since 6 years old.
    Raced downhill for my school, been a
    Skiing instructor and a ski patrol.
    Since living in fl now, we take 2-4 ski trips a year, one is heli skiing.

My advice to you is rent demo packages or high
    Performance packages and see what you like.
    Check this link, this is the normal charges at most major mountains.
    http://www.avonventuresports.com/rentals.cfm

Top of the line ski demo packages go for 25$-35$ depending where you get them. The ski shops in the city are cheaper than the ones on the mountain, but really all are reasonable for what you get($1000+worth of skis and bindings, boots)
    You can get regular ski packages for less $$ they suck.
    Go with the demo or at least the high performance package

Once you know what you like you can buy them if you want. I have not bought ski equip for many years now and ski at least 10-15 times a year.

To buy the skis and bindings, poles I want would cost $1000-$1500 thats a lot of $35 rentals. Keep in mind skis do break, get rock damage, etc. and loose camber. When I used to ski 60+ times a year I would wear out or break a pair of skis in 1 year easy.

I do own my own special form fit boots. I also own 3 sets of skis that I never take with me anymore. Lugging skis thru an airport is no fun. Demos skis are fun and convenient.
    Boot comfort with support is the most important part of your equipment.
    Take some time to try different boots get fit right.

Just rent for one day at a time.
    Most ski shops will wax and tune their demos for you no charge.

Some days I like the bumps(soft mogul ski), some days high speed carving turns on a GS ski,
    lots light fresh snow last night, powder skis are nice.
    Renting demos gives you the ability to go into the ski shop in the morning have whatever ski you need that day.

If you ski a lot, once you find comfortable boots you could buy them and just demo the skis. It will make for very fast rentals at the ski shop if you don't need boots.

Once you get good you got try heli skiing. I got some outrageous heli ski stories!

jmho
    allcool

Yeah i was goign down some black diamods but i knew that they werent exactly the hardest nor was the mountain very big. Im sure if i went to any respectable mountain in colorado or canada i woudl come up to a black diamond and say fuk that i dont feel like pushing my luck. But ive been looking for a hobby by summer house in thew winter and fiannly found one plus its in wisconsin which is by multiple ski sites so i wouldnt have to pay for a hotel or anything. Even though you make a very good point allcool i still think im gona get some skis to have. when i get better and i feel like using some top of the line skis ill rent liek you suggest. If i get some right now i dont think ill be going crazy spending a lot of money on them ill get some middle grade skis just to have instead of using those crappy rentals. I've olny used rentals so i cant even imagine what a nice set of skis is going to feel like. Any of you guys heard any thing about salomon Skis? I can get soem for a steal right now but i havnt really heard anything good about them. Those vulkl look real nice im leaning twords k2's or vulkl's right now. Thank you guys for all your help its highley apreaciated.

Redevil, that's all good information by allcool. Boots are more important than skis, as you have your foot tucked in them all day.

The only part of what allcool said that I might disagree on - sorry allcool, just my thoughts - are that unfortunately rental guys aren't waiting for you to show up in their shop. On weekends you can be lined up 10 deep at the bigger places, and that all takes time. You have to allow between 1/2 hr and 1hr each day to deal with that crap of the ski fitting etc, and to me that's good skiing time. I often take the kids up the local mountains here for a few hours at night, and I don't wanna be messing with rentals then.

I personally have never been a Salomon fan,as they are a bit too mass produced for my liking. Having said that, my wife really likes them and she skis a Saloman Scrambler 8 and swears by them (similar level skier to me). The write-ups on the web site I gave you does rate them well I think. Just be aware of the specific model differences with Salamon as they make a lot for the rental pools which are chit.

I had K2s a few years ago and were quite good. K2 make a better downhill ski than mogul ski IMO. But their downhill skis are stiff and fast. I prefer the trees and moguls so haven't gone back to them.

Rent a few packages from someone who has a lot of types and makes, and try to talk to the same tech each time (so one in town is better than one at the mountain). Talk things over with them afer each rental and they will also be able to guide you. You're just starting out, so I wouldn't be looking at anything more than $800-$1000 for a total package just yet - skis, boots, bindings, poles. You won't outgrow an average ski for 3-4 years, and then you can decide how much is the right amount. allcool is a better skier than me, and it makes sense for him to spend that money for sure.

Good luck, and it sounds like allcool will be of good help as time goes by. We are close to Whistler and ski there regularly - I'll be up there again in a couple of weeks - so let me know if you're coming out this way and I'll make sure you know where it's at.

Snooze.

This is all really good info guys thanks again. couple questions. Would it be smart to go spend a ton on a set of nice fitting boots and bindings Since they will always be interchangabel to other skis ? or is that nto a smart idea? Also Are boots and bindings universal? Im thinkign spend a nice penny on some boots and then get some average skis that come with some bindings, but thats olny if boots and bindings are universal. Thanks again guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information