Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1

I am now a professional shrink-wrapper...kinda.

Well, I figured this year it would be cool to have my PWC shrink wrapped until I found out the price. 1 boat and 10 PWC at a bulk rate would have been Over $650. So i figured I would try it myself.

By the end of the day, I had it down to a science and could do a PWC in about 20-25 minutes. Wasted about 2 PWC worth of material experementing at first. I have to say, it was more work than I anticipated, but thats a reult of the number of skis I have.

Case an point, if you have a few skis, Its worth it to do it yourself. With the 8 skis and boat I had the time to do yesterday, it saved me about $450.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shrink.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	287001

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    holy shit you got a whole navy going up there?

+1
    Great Job! Where did you get your material and what did you use for heat?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cascivic View Post
    holy shit you got a whole navy going up there?
    LOL, LOL

+1
    I too would love to know more about how this is done.

Does the plastic come in a single, large enough sheet to cover the area shrink-wrapped? Or does it go on in pieces and the pieces stick together to cover the whole area?

How do you heat it? Is it easy to melt through?

Looks like quite a fleet.

Cheers!

+1
    Looks like they turned out good! I still think you should sell some jetskis and buy a snowmobile...

Banned User
    +1
    Just get a good wetsuit and keep riding. I am still riding here in Wisconsin.

+1
    Good job Brad, but you forgot to shrink wrap the trailers

+1
    Basically they have 6 mm and 7 mm wrap. The 7 is much more durable. They sell shrink tape for making vents or using to stick things together. You need a propane torch ....hand held gun or wand. Runs on propane.

Comes in large rolls with different lengths and widths depending on what your doing. Welding gloves are a must to pat down the plastic as you melt it. They sell nylon strapping line for it too.

A superstructure is made with wood , carpet on the ends, and its all tied down tight first. Then the wrap over it.

Using big clamps holds the plastic where u need it. Be careful you don't leave the gun in 1 spot. If it burns thru, it will burn the graphics instantly. Have a fire extinguisher around just in case.

On a boat you make a belly ban and stuff the wrap under the belly pan to keep it tight.

I've done this for 100's of boats. Works great. I did mine last year lie this. Keeps prying eyes out of your ski. Take the battery out. If you smell gas fumes. Find out why before you cover it. Don't want to have an explosion. Keep the can away from the work piece too.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Still have to wrap number 9 in the lawn and number 10 (the hurricane) in the garage because it needs to go outside to make room for the snowblower.

The material came from a local company that distributes Dr. Skrink. Dr. shrink online is a great place to get the material.

The smaller rolls come 6mm thick. You can get different sizes, the smallest being 12'x175'. I purchased 14' wide materal so I could do all my skis by cutting the material the width of the ski rather than the length. 12' is good for two seaters, but it would be tight for covering a 3 seater.

Roll I purchased was 14'x150' for about $150.

Used a harbor freight torch that hooks up to a 20 lbs propane tank. No way to do it with a heat gun. Wasted some material learning how NOT to burn too many holes in the material. Would have been much easier with a proper propane heat gun, but they are $600. The harbor freight torch was $20.

Procedure is the same for a ski as it is a boat.

-Create a TIGHT band below the rub rail on the ski using poly webbing (sold by the same company)
    -Drape the plastic sheet over the ski.
    -Tuck the material under and behind the band cutting excess so you are not tucking more than 3-4" of material.
    -Fold neat pleats at the handlebars as this is where all the excess material ends up.
    -Heat sections of the bottom edge where the material goes under the band and tap it with a gloved hand. The material is self welding and by heating and pressing it together, you are creating a pocket that the band sits in to hold the material from pulling up.
    -On the 3 and 4 seaters, it may be necessary to run a band under the ski from each side of the belly band to help hold it down.
    -heat the pleats and tap them together. The material welds itself together and you no longer have any pocket for wind to catch.
    -Have at it with the torch. The material will start to wrinkle then suddenly become tight. Takes awhile to get the hang of it and not burn a hole.
    -Add stick on vents to keep the air flow under the cover.

Only difference with the jet boat was to add a 2x4 and a bunch of strapping to create a "tent" to keep snow off.

Ill try t update with a few more detailed pictures tomorrow.
    Last edited by ghostinstallations; 11-16-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information