Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4Tec winterizing/antifreeze clarification

New to the forum in need of some help from you gents.

Got a 2007 GTI (the very basic one 130Hp) and I have found great help as far as winterizing my ski. What I really don't understand is the antifreeze part where people recommend putting antifreeze through flushing port on the back, and other people saying that this is a Closed Loop System where there is antifreeze already in the engine, so just fogg engine and add Stabil. Does my ski have intercooler?

I thank you fellas in advance for putting up with my ignorance, I have never owned a jet ski and want to be cautious since we had our first low 38F in Dallas yesterday and do not want to take any chances.

+1
    You do not have an intercooler. The colling system is closed but the exhaust and waterbox gets its colling from the lake so it needs the antifreeze.

Not sure where the fill place is on yours since I just keep mine inside where it does not freeze. Someone will help you out.

As 04gtxsc says, you don't have an intercooler, but you do have lake water cooled exhaust passages and the waterbox, which must be either drained, or injected with antifreeze to prevent damage. There is no good way to get the water out of the waterbox, so injecting antifreeze is the safest option. Some guys just blow air into the flush port to push water out of the exhaust manifold passages, but water in the waterbox can split it when it freezes.

As posted in other threads, the easiest way to winterize these is to use a drill pump with a short length of garden hose, and pump RV antifreeze into the flush port while engine is running. I usually figure about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of antifreeze per ski. You will see pink coming out the exhaust after about 1/4 gallon, but I like to make sure the waterbox is flushed well with the antifreeze.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie_picazo View Post
    New to the forum in need of some help from you gents.

Got a 2007 GTI (the very basic one 130Hp) and I have found great help as far as winterizing my ski. What I really don't understand is the antifreeze part where people recommend putting antifreeze through flushing port on the back, and other people saying that this is a Closed Loop System where there is antifreeze already in the engine, so just fogg engine and add Stabil. Does my ski have intercooler?

I thank you fellas in advance for putting up with my ignorance, I have never owned a jet ski and want to be cautious since we had our first low 38F in Dallas yesterday and do not want to take any chances.
    Your ski does not have an intercooler. The engine is cooled by antifreeze that is a closed system(no water coming in from lake/ocean/whatever). But, the exhaust system is cooled by an open loop system(draws water from where you are riding).

It is recommended that when winterizing you run antifreeze through this open system to prevent water which is in there from freezing and damaging components such as the water box or exhaust manifold. The easiest way to do this is to hook up a hose to the flush port on rear of ski, start the ski and pour antifreeze into the hose until it starts coming out from the rear.

To make it easier you can buy a small bilge pump and it will pump the antifreeze into the ski while its running through the flush port. Makes it a lot easier than pouring it and using gravity.

I understand now, you guys are awesome thank you all so much for your input.

The pink RV antifreeze Walmart sells should be ok right? stupid question, the pink antifreeze should not affect the existing one on the reservoir in engine compartment correct?

+1
    The pink RV antifreeze from walmart is what I used.

It will not affect the antifreeze in the engine compartment, as it is a completely separate cooling system.

Thought so, thanks JK111.

+1
    Can't you just punch the throttle for a sec or two on the trailer to blow all that water out of the waterbox? I can't imagine a little puddle damaging anything if it freezes. I blow the water out of my exhaust every time I pull it out of the lake, and at first there is a big burst of water, then it dries up rather nicely and only steam comes out. I can't imagine there is enough water left in there to cause any damage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IDoSeaDoo View Post
    Can't you just punch the throttle for a sec or two on the trailer to blow all that water out of the waterbox? I can't imagine a little puddle damaging anything if it freezes. I blow the water out of my exhaust every time I pull it out of the lake, and at first there is a big burst of water, then it dries up rather nicely and only steam comes out. I can't imagine there is enough water left in there to cause any damage.
    It will blow most of it out of the water box, but it won't blow out the lines or manifold(or intercooler if you have one). Easiest thing to do to prevent freezing is use a bilge pump to pump antifreeze through everything. Takes me 5 minutes. However, after every ride I always punch it once out of the water to clear the box.

+1
    My understanding was that the lines and manifold are situated so that the water naturally runs out of them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information