+1

R&D VXR R3 ECU question...

Anyone running an R&D R3 ECU on their VXR?
    If so what results (RPM etc etc) are you getting along with what other mods (prop/plate/sponsons/grate/ribbon delete etc)?

Also pls confirm that R3 rev lim is 8350. For some reason the VXR R3 is no longer listed here (GH store) or on the R&D site (at least I can't find it).

Thx.

+1
    R&D still have it available. Highly recommend monitoring AFR's with Innovate Wide band or similar. May require powershot.
    Apart from that I reckon it would be fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by bullett55 View Post
    Anyone running an R&D R3 ECU on their VXR?
    If so what results (RPM etc etc) are you getting along with what other mods (prop/plate/sponsons/grate/ribbon delete etc)?

Also pls confirm that R3 rev lim is 8350. For some reason the VXR R3 is no longer listed here (GH store) or on the R&D site (at least I can't find it).

Thx.

+1
    Here you go, Julio...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ighlight=julio

BTW This is a V-Tech, No need for a Power shot or Fuel Pressure Regulator, just plug and play.....

I gained 2 miles an hour on a full tank of fuel and a crack nozzle. Replaced the nozzle and gained 4 MPH...

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    I ran the R3 since the beginning with 5 hours on my 2011 VXS. I never had any issues. Acceleration was much improved with a slight top end gain. That was over a year ago, so I do not really remember how much speed without my log book that I keep records in.
    The R3 for the VX has never been listed on any web site to my knowledge. Just call Glenn at R&D, and tell him your setup on your VX so he can program the R3 for your specific needs and desires. My tune was spot on when I ran the AFR's.
    Hope this helps.
    Chuck

+1
    Thanks guys. Actually I already have an R3. Just now hooked up my PET2100DXR and was looking for what kind of RPM ppl were getting w/an R3 (both solid hook-up in good water conditions.., and what their topped out/rev limiter RPM showed when coming un-hooked in chop). And wanted to know what mods they had installed (realize elev, temp, dew pt all play a major roll - makes this look like a stupid question lol).

Headed to Havasu at the crack of dawn and was unable to talk to Glenn today, so thot I might get some info here before I leave. I have R&D grate, plate, sponsons, ribbon delete, filter kit, ppk, cone, Skat 13/17 swirl, and now the flash.

Just hoped someone here w/a decent tach knew what RPM they were seeing w/the R3, both hooked and when un-hooked, w/the mods they were running. Speed info is useful also.. even though I'm set up for CC. Again, basically I'm looking for approx what kind of 'speed run' type indicated RPM I should be looking for.. both w/solid hook-up and when occly bouncing off the R3 limiter. I understand that differences in mods/props must be taken into account.

The R3 actually was listed 'once upon a time'. It, like the R2, is safe w/91 oct and does not require the 'power shot'.

Thanks again for the input.

+1
    Bullet, I've done a lot of testing with the V-Tech Reflash that has a rev limiter at 8350 on a pair of VXS skis for the last 50 hours.

I've found the best results with this ECU when pitching for around 8180-8220. Anything over 8250 and you are starting to get out of the powerband on the top end, but accel is a little better. Soft limiter kicks in around 8310. If you under pitch the prop and run it WOT, you will be limited down somewhere between the 6000-7600 RPM range. I haven't seen the limiter kick in on holeshot yet.

13/16 seems to be the right pitch for my setup in my air on a very similar setup to yours. My air intake is a 3" internal type. If you are running a 4 inch/force fed air intake like the Riva, then the 13/17 might be just right. Depending on your setup, you might need to play with the leading edge a little to get the holeshot right with the R&D grate.

Also, I got nothing by adding the ECU itself. It wasn't until I pitched the prop into the powerband that I saw results.

+1
    Hey Jarrett/Chuck,

Thx for the help/input.
    Since I'm a bit of a rookie, I wanna make sure I'm getting this right. You (Jarrett) meant 'over pitch' (too much) in your post stmt below right?? (under pitch/decrease > more rpm, over pitch/increase > less rpm correct?)
    ""If you under pitch the prop and run it WOT, you will be limited down somewhere between the 6000-7600 RPM range""

My intake system is OEM except for the ribbon delete and filter kit, and my exhaust is all OEM (IJSBA Stock Class rules).
    I was @ 7900 steady hooked up, w/good water and air conditions yesterday. I'm guessing I should de-pitch some (lower my pitch) to obtain a couple hundred more rpm. You guys agree??

Also, I'm puzzled that my max recorded rpm was only 8160, every time, when becoming occly unhooked. Thot I should be closer to the rev limit of 8350 when becoming unhooked??

+1
    If you have the ECU and air mods in place now and are running 7900 RPM with a Skat 13/17, then I would say have Skat depitch the trailing edge of the prop to a 13/14 or 13/15 to get your RPMs in the 8100-8200 range so that you are getting full potential from the ECU. The ski will definitely be quicker with that pitch and come out of corners harder, and should be a little faster as well.

I was recently running a 12.5/14 on my daughter's ski and that was the funnest prop I've run in terms of accel and cornering, but it gave up a little speed smooth water so I went to a 13/16. In CC racing in chop, that may be a non issue though. Might be beneficial to trade some smooth water top end for holeshot and quicker recovery in the corners.

What I meant about the underpitching is I tried a prop that was a 13/13 which was underpitched for my mods and quickly ran the ski to the rev limiter. It would hit really hard out of the hole, but around 64 MPH it would top out because I would hit the rev limiter and it would kick my RPMs back down to 6000-7600. At that point I could slowly letting off the throttle and when I got to about 3/4 throttle, the RPMs would jump from 6000 to 8310 and start dropping again. So that prop was underpitched for my setup. It needed more pitch in the trailing edge to get it off the rev limiter.

I'm not sure about the 8160 when unhooked.

Here is how the stock rev limiter kicks in. The higher RPM you try to turn, the more it knocks the power down. That's what I meant about 6000-7600 depending how far over the limit you try to go:

+1
    Thanks, good information. Plus now I get your under pitch comment.
    And yep, I'll gladly trade several mph for improved handling in CC.
    There is usually only one (occly two) spots on a track where a N/A
    4-stroke can even reach top speed. Not like the 2-strokes yer running
    against. Ask Ricky Bobby lol. Again, appreciate your sharing the info!

Thread Information