96 xp 800 or 96 hx? Pro and cons?

I have 96 xp and intrested in 96 hx. Price is good. Anything I need to know or should I just pass it by? Been setting for a while. Other then carbs and cleaning fuel system. How good/ different ate they from the xp? I know the engine is smaller but how are the hx on handling?

HX's handle good, but a 96 XP can be made to handle well, too. I have never ridden an HX, but am putting one together to ride for next year. I do know they are hard to reboard. Do not pay much, a good running HX is hard to sell due to the skill needed to ride. A good running HX can be had for under a grand.

Like wave blaster riding style? It's a little tricky.

+1
    I would take the xp without a doubt. the hx isnt a bad craft, dont take me wrong, but the xp is faster and way more stable.

Re: 96 xp 800 or 96 hx? Pro and cons?

Quote Originally Posted by aruba yamaha View Post
    I would take the xp without a doubt. the hx isnt a bad craft, dont take me wrong, but the xp is faster and way more stable.
    More stable yes but depending on what hx you get it can be faster than a xp I know my hx is faster than most xp's out there and I will holeshot most xpl's a also.

+1
    I picked up an HX and rode it this season along with some tinkering. I'd compare it to riding a dirtbike on water. You can't really compare it to anything else because the ride is so different. It will blast through the rough choppy stuff and stay hooked up without bouncing around. It will also cut in and turn at high rates of speed with no sliding. It can pitch you in an instant if you're not paying attention. The deep water boarding takes a bit of practice but that's part of the fun. All summer long I'd catch myself giggling like a little schoolgirl at the HX's unexpected antics. Mine is GPS'ing 53.13 right now and I'm still tweaking on it. I really like the power of the '96 XP but.....it's no HX. I could see a guy 250# plus having trouble with one but other than that I say go for the HX!

It all depends on what type of riding you like. If you want to have an adventure on the water and learn a new way to ride then get the HX but i personally am very partial to the 96 xp's. I think the xp's handle great and can require the same amount of skill to ride if you try and ride it like a race ski.

I would suggest taking the hx for a test ride and see what you think, they are kind of like stand-ups in my opinion in the fact that it seems either you love them or hate them, not really much in between.

Get both. They each rule for different reasons.

+1
    I have both. If you want speed and out of control handling, get the xp's. if you want turning on a dim at 50 mph capability, you get the hx. I love both models. There is no replacement for either of them. In fact I'm picking up my 3rd hx in 7 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Stang View Post
    I have both. If you want speed and out of control handling, get the xp's. if you want turning on a dim at 50 mph capability, you get the hx. I love both models. There is no replacement for either of them. In fact I'm picking up my 3rd hx in 7 hours
    It's all relative. You want out of control handling get an 1100 WaveRaider!

Thread Information