Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! Overheated new FX SHO engine and insurance question

Hi, At end of summer my girlfriend was slowly driving FX SHO back to docks and she got lost and got into area with tons of seaweed...lake was insanely low due to drought this summer. She unknowingly ingested seaweed preventing water coolent and engine overheated. When the engine overheat alarm went off she said she turned off engine, but by that time there was tons of white smoke. The damage done was most of the rubber hoses coming from the exhaust manifold melted on inside and one had hole that burned through from melted plastic. Also on the metal exhaust manifold there are two metal gaskets and the lower horizontal one is leaking bad. I will have a repair shop replace it in spring. I did a compression check and all cylinders read exactly 125 lbs which I read is normal for this ski. I didn't get chance before winterizing to run on lake but it starts fine and sounds good running it on the hose and also oil looks fine.

My question is that even though compression test came out good what is the chance that I have done any long term damage to rings, valves, warping, scoring, etc. She did shut it off when alarm sounded, but it overheated bad enough to blow lower exhaust gasket and burn the hoses.

Second question is about insurance and wondering if it would cover engine damage due to ingestion of foreign material. I am thinking not and that insurance only covers engine damage due to sinking or hitting hard object that causes engine damage. Thanks!!

+1

Insurance should cover it....

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    motor is fine.

+1
    The specific coverage you have should be outlined in your policy.
    Call your insurance company and ask them, let us know what they say, but be careful about making claims. Depending on the cost of repair, might not be worth your rates going up.

This is an interesting thread I was reading not long ago, not PWC but still interesting...

"Allstate does not cover overheating engine"
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ng-engine.html

+1
    The ECU has parameters that will more than save it if it over heats. The engine is most likely fine.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    The ECU has parameters that will more than save it if it over heats. The engine is most likely fine.
    How is this? Is the ecu able to shut the motor off in an overheat situation?

+1
    Sorry to hear what's happened! However, I am going nuts, if she turned it off when she heard the alarm, none of that should've happened or the alarm is useless...I could see this happening if she ignored the alarm....What do you think?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    Sorry to hear what's happened! However, I am going nuts, if she turned it off when she heard the alarm, none of that should've happened or the alarm is useless...I could see this happening if she ignored the alarm....What do you think?
    As far as I know, the 1.8's don't cut the motor in an overheat situation......the rpm just get reduced to 3000-3300. Buzzer will first come on intermittently, then continously. If the motor was switched off as soon as alarm came on, then no damage to hoses should occur. Not sure how the thermosensor works on these, but have seen this sort of thing happen on a car......cooling system runs out of water very quickly for what ever reason.....if the sensor is measuring water temp but there is no water in system........the engine has to get really hot before the sensor registers the heat. Like I said, don't know if this would apply to the SHO (there are other sensors) but would explain it.

+1
    The alarm should come on within the first minute from lack of cooling. I had a few situations on my XL and FX back in the day and the alarm came on pretty quickly. Doesn't sound like the engine was shut off "right when the alarm went off"

There's a lot of heat needed to melt/warp/destroy those lines

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Doesn't sound like the engine was shut off "right when the alarm went off"
    There's a lot of heat needed to melt/warp/destroy those lines
    +1, this is not uncommon in shallow areas; here in FL we have experienced a similar situation with weeds more than once, and if you cut the engine when the alarm sounds there is no time for any damage. At that point, you have to get under the ski and clear the debris by hand, or tow it to shore and then remove the grate if required.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information