Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Cold weather riding

I'd like to extend my riding season into early spring, late fall. I was wondering if any of you guys ride in temps below 50, and what you wear to keep warm and dry. Thanks.

Banned User
    +1
    I was out yesterday. 34 degree air when I got out, 42 degree water on Lake Michigan. Check out wetsuitwarehouse.com. I have a 7mm wetsuit, 7mm boots, 5mm gloves, a poly fleece and neoprene base layer shirt and a 5mm hood. I spent about 400 bucks on all of it. I was very comfortable riding yesterday. I got a little cool cruising at higher speeds, but with the sun, all it took was to stop for a minute or 2 and I would warm right back up. Get the best boots you can. My feet were a little cool after 2 hours of riding. Otherwise I had a blast. The most fun I have had all season has been from the start of October on. Having a lake all to yourself is wonderful. You will be surprised how warm you will be wearing all of that stuff.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I was out yesterday. 34 degree air when I got out, 42 degree water on Lake Michigan. Check out wetsuitwarehouse.com. I have a 7mm wetsuit, 7mm boots, 5mm gloves, a poly fleece and neoprene base layer shirt and a 5mm hood. I spent about 400 bucks on all of it. I was very comfortable riding yesterday. I got a little cool cruising at higher speeds, but with the sun, all it took was to stop for a minute or 2 and I would warm right back up. Get the best boots you can. My feet were a little cool after 2 hours of riding. Otherwise I had a blast. The most fun I have had all season has been from the start of October on. Having a lake all to yourself is wonderful. You will be surprised how warm you will be wearing all of that stuff.

dang you could move around in that gear? kinda thick

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    http://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/st...ysuitinfo.html The Kokatat with drysock option. $899. Talk to Wendy. Wear fleece under. Winter is Jet Ski season, isn't it? Winter is not as cold in coastal Alaska as Wisconsin but cold enough, and this is what we wear. In very cold conditions, wear large bunny boots, too.

+1

Cold weather riding

Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    kinda thick
    That's what she said!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post

dang you could move around in that gear? kinda thick
    Its a little heavy, but it works very well. Its no worse than what you wear to ride a snowmobile. Hey Mark, good to see we can comment on a post without arguing

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Helmet really helps in cold temps. Keeping extremities warm is the biggie. Hands, feet, arms, legs.

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    Yes, yes. It's not that hard, really.

+1
    Hey Mark, good to see we can comment on a post without arguing
    You guys are making progress.
    Last edited by skoepp; 11-15-2012 at 07:37 PM.

+1
    What I like about winter riding: Very little Marine traffic and different views of the "same old thing". The gulf south has areas that make for great riding Oct through May. Actually, I really like to get out, w/the camera, in the Spring and Fall; Mother Nature has a great talent in displaying colors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information