+1

2000 gtx low compression but good price.

pick this up for $350 with trailer, have a new harbor freight compression tester and gave it a go 87 and 87 psi seems to run fine, hooked the tester up to a compressor and it read the same psi, there is a lot of oarngeish looking oil in the hull, going to tear into it and see whats really going on, dont know much about about the di motor other then from what I have heard they suck, 130 hours on motor I have a RX that I went through I know a carb seadoo just not a DI anything I need to know befor I jump head first into this thing? thanks for all your help.sorry for the bad pics but this thing is mint, like new without a scratch if thats hard to beleive, never seen a ski this old that had been babied all its life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	287318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	287319

Banned User
    +1
    IF the ski is that nice I say rebuild the motor if its weak.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I started parting alot of skis out but your right, will rebuild the top end, we will see going to dig into it and see what I can find.

+1
    From prior experience working on many DI projects I would seriously consider removing the motor for a thorough inspection. Take it out and flip over. Then remove the water jacket cover on bottom of crankcase. Look over crankcase closely for any signs of cracks or breakage. There is little difference between a carb'ed 951 and DI. Just more components bolted to one. In a pinch I have used a lower crankcase half on DI motor. Needed to weld a boss for an extra oil injection for compressor, but basically same. Would not recommend doing this, but desperate times.....

Even tho it may turn out to have nothing wrong, I would also really favor splitting the crankcase and confirm crank and all bearing are in good condition. The bearing pockets are prone to wollering out on counter balance shaft, so another reason for removal. Outer crank seals are cheap and always a smart thing to replace when cases are apart.

You may not find anything wrong with lower end, but if you dont make sure, its an expensive waste of a top end to self destruct if something is bad and you over look it.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks , will do, the only issue I have is like the one I am in right now, removing a motor then reinstalling it like on my polaris 750 that I just put the motor back in but not sure yet on alligning the motor and shaft right, is there a certain way of doing this?

I have always just made sure to reuse the shims at the motor mounts in the exact spot they came from and have never had an alignment problem. I may have gotten lucky every time but it has never failed me.

polish the block, and get some new rings.

Thread Information