Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Must be winter DJSA

Not a peep out of anyone, lol. So kinda boring with no racing going on, but then again it's kinda cold out there to be eating wash.

What is in store for DJSA season 8? What are your likes and dislikes of these races. Just like to collect some information on how we can make it better and better for all. Comments and opinions are all welcome. I'll start.

I for one would like to take some work off of Jim so we can start the races earlier. Anything that I can do to help out, let me know, Jim. Jim, learned how to delegate.

I also like the 2 day event at the last race with a different track the next day was great.

Like venues with band starts and beach access for parked skis. Like: SSVR, Minden, CFW

Banned User
    +1
    chowchilla's a nice location IMO too. as much as no one likes rolling starts including myself, suisun is the best place for spectators

That's the other one I couldn't think of...Chowchilla. I agree Suisun is a great place for spectators, but the racer turnouts seem to be low at that venue. I think some don't like their skis to be banged up from the dock and the cement walls might have something to do with it. It would be a great place for match slalom or time trials. Just not a fan of running starts, sorry Jimmy, but that doesn't mean I won't race there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamabooeey View Post
    Not a peep out of anyone, lol. So kinda boring with no racing going on, but then again it's kinda cold out there to be eating wash.

What is in store for DJSA season 8? What are your likes and dislikes of these races. Just like to collect some information on how we can make it better and better for all. Comments and opinions are all welcome. I'll start.

I for one would like to take some work off of Jim so we can start the races earlier. Anything that I can do to help out, let me know, Jim. Jim, learned how to delegate.

I also like the 2 day event at the last race with a different track the next day was great.

Like venues with band starts and beach access for parked skis. Like: SSVR, Minden, CFW
    Stormin Normin,

Awesome thread - I hope more guys jump in here and voice their views.
    It's the only way things are going to get better... or faster.
    I've tried, but maybe some of you guys can steer some more racer peeps over here to greenhulk.
    I still have probs with pwctoday slowing down my computer with "tracking cookies and stuff" and if I were a computer dude I would start OUR OWN forum like the Jet Ski Doctor did a couple years back, but I'm not - and since the Hulk has literally given us our own threads here - this is where I will consider home to be as far as the threads go...

Just in response to a few things Norm mentioned, I did unwillingly learn how to delegate the past couple seasons, and in particular this last one. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate all the help from Stan, Team Chat, Norm, Doug, the General, Cowboy, and the rest of the staff - but when all you other race guys kick in to help like Team Zernik, Memo, the Templetons, Wilsons, Bill mark martin Wilson, Stegs, Tate, Girling, Team Pagen, and any other heros I didn't mention, I can't tell you enough how much that helps me and even though I HATE bothering people - I've come to learn I couldn't do this without all your help and I sincerely thank you. With all the stress there is involved with putting on a race - THERE IS NOTHING MORE REWARDING to me than looking at a lake full of buoys on a friday night and knowing that everything is set to go for the next day, and then its pretty cool to be able to enjoy the night with the early bird crew sitting around Zernik's campfire.

I have mixed feelings about the 2 day events, but theres good and bad to both.
    2 races in one weekend is always going to be more costly than a single day race for obvious reasons... the cost of the race as far as insurance and staff goes is doubled and for some racers thats not a good thing, but on the otherhand it does cut down on some traveling cost - and as with the last race at Minden if you could only make one day you still put points on the board and you didn't put yourself out of the running by missing 2 races. It has to be the right venue to run a full weekend. Places like Minden, SSVR, Tracy, Chowchilla, and Camp Far West are PERFECT as far as us being able to camp onsite and maintain security of all the race skis and equipment, but sites like Suisun, Marysville, and Antioch where spectators are much more accessable are not. If there is a big interest in 2 round weekends I will certainly consider adding a few more to the mix. I'd also like to see Jet Effect become a 2 round weekend but I have to figure out how to fit the juniors in.

The juniors definitely added a challenge to the time schedule mix this year, but I REALLY liked how things ran at race 7 and 8. The juniors ran their practice, time trials, and match racing saturday morning - and that left the rest of the day for open practice and a 2 heat format for regular racing. Sunday we had a full 3 heat day for regular racing with no interuptions. I agree the juniors have gotten way too popular in numbers to run them as a "time filler" in between regular heat rounds because theres so many of them. If we run more 2 round weekends next season, I will designate the junior action to be slated for early saturday mornings to allow for uninterupted racing the rest of the weekend. We still need some "break time" for the crew in between race rounds while they chow down on whatever Jill and Hope cooked up for the day, and I'd like to see the return of freestyle to the breaks, but I'll have to talk to Derrick about that. I was hoping the 550 extremes would be a hit, and if anything, they've earned a class of their own in the points racing, but maybe we could run some 550 Australian Pursuits during the breaks. Open classes, simple rules, last man standing wins. I think that would be a cool thing for the 550 nation but that leaves 3 words for them.... Where Are They???

I will always strive to score sites with beach access for band starts, and although we have to do a little work on the system we have that will always be the preferred start we run - but for the few sites that don't allow for that - I have to ask for your help in "rolling" with the rolling starts... I know we'll always disagree on this, but nothing looks more awesome when you guys GET IT RIGHT and roll up to the startline in perfectly spaced rows of 2. From a racers standpoint you guys think they suck but we try and make them as fair as possible with time trials and inverted starts to give you a shot at not just starting in the back. From a promoters standpoint, I think they are by far SAFER in that first turn and they offer the spectators a unique "different look" at the start of a race when all you guys are lined up. Hey in case you noticed, I don't always like doing things like everyone else, and similar to nascar - not everyone likes racing stock cars on road courses like Infineon or Watkins Glen but the change up is kinda cool to see and its a simple theory... If you want the points you'll race it, and if you don't race it you won't get the points. I won't ask you guys to run rolling starts unless we absolutely have to. I get it - you don't like them, but there will be a couple times when I have to ask you to "like me" and trust that if a race calls for rolling starts its for a reason. There will always be a few who don't want to show up because of rolling starts and thats cool, but that doesn't always help me out with putting on a good show for a city or with paying the bills but on the otherhand, if you're serious about running for points the guys who show up will benefit and the ones who don't won't..... jes sayin

Any of you who have ideas for formats or couses, just shoot them to me and I will consider putting them into play. The biggest reason things don't start before 11am is because -

Reg is from 8 till 930
    Practice runs while reg finishes up
    We don't have a riders meeting until "before the 1st race" because we don't know the race order or combined classes until reg is complete. As much as you plan ahead, the reality is "you just don't know how the day is going to go" until registration is complete and the girls plan the rosters... Anyone who has a better idea I welcome your suggestions. Some other race circuts have a riders meeting at 8am before practice starts but unless pre-reg was mandatory and you KNOW AHEAD OF TIME who is going to be there, I just don't see that working for us. I try and consider the guy who doesn't know he can make it till the last minute and can't commit ahead of time. Trying to "finalize" things before a race day has always hurt us because of the word "RE-DO"... and NOTHING takes up more time than trying to re-do something you've already done!

When you have to re-do the class rosters or race order it takes up time.
    When you have to re-do the course layout or split, it takes up time.
    When Hable sends our buoys up to space and we have to re-do them, it takes up time.
    In a perfect world, starting racing at 8am gets you rolling home at a decent hour, but when do you run practice? How do you know how many guys you will actually have racing? How do you know how many classes you will have? How do you adjust the race order to accomodate guys running multiple classes?

I preder the riders meeting stays at being right before the 1st race.
    I prefer that the last things you remember saying before you hit the line, is our safety rules and procedures.
    At Minden, we were set to start at 8am but a few people were dragging sunday morning. Thats cool and I didn't sweat it because it was the last race of the year - but our format works and if we can ALL make an effort to get practice rolling by 830am on race days - theres no reason why we can't be racing at 1030 at the latest and running a full race day that ends by 4...

Please lay it out here... I dig the constructive critisism, and as it was previously said its the only way things will get better over the next couple years before I think about retiring and handing over DJSA to Denny Janeway. (jes kidding. I dig his input but I never see him on the threads so I thought that might spark his interest to pop in over here)

Thanks for all your suggestions and interest...
    jim

ps - yes I miss you guys already!

I know its a little south but Lake Isabella is a decent location with the big beach area by the dam. Im gonna try to make alot of DJSA races this year!!Cant wait to see what Big Jim has in store for DJSA VIII !!!

Norm, I'll give us something else to talk about.
    Jim,Can we put Karty in the 800 class with us next season ? They are trying to put together rules for a R/A spec class on PWCtoday.com and the XIR with an 1100 engine is on the list of considered set ups. Would be nice to see how they stack up. I'm sure it would break Karty's heart to race another class.

Good point, Mike. Let's go a different direction. The Xir is welcome in the sport class also. Depending on how many this next season, the Seadoo 800s can join in the Sport class like before. The Seadoos had their own class this year was because there were so many of them and wouldn't be safe running in the Sport class. 3 years ago at SSVR Jet Effects in the Sport class, we had 10 on the line and 7 different makes/model all in the same class was fun to race and watch. So depending on the numbers, I think it would be great to have the Xir 1100 and Seadoo 800s with the Sport class. Also have a separate sport (701s) class available so they don't feel intimidated and more enjoyable. I know from experience it is not much fun not being competitive.

Whatcha think?

Bringin' back the ol' X2 to the race scene! karty's Avatar
    WOW!
    Been a LOoooooooong time since I have posted here! 12/2008

I'm Game! IF I keep it!

+1
    While I consider the pros and cons of the above, here's something that made me think of a few of you superstars who traded handlebars for fishing poles..... jes sayin

+1

Must be winter DJSA

Dude that was awesome!!! Lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information