Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posible buy 2006 STX-15F

Hi !

I am a newbie looking at a STX-15F from 2006 with 106 hours on it, 100 hours service is done.
    I have only pics of the ski sofar and I have a few questions.

Looks like the reverse bucket and bording step has been removed. Why would you do that ?
    Can it be a sign of a raced ski ?

Also the handlebar have been replaced.
    I know the pump bearing needs to be checked out, anything else I should look at (apart from "noice", compression etc).
    I read something that Kawi replaced the ECU to one with different timing on later models, should I worry about that ?

I also wonder about pulling tubes etc, I see no hook for that - Am I missing something here ?
    [Edit] Looks like there is a hook in the black "handle" under the saddle is that correct ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	287473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	287474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	287475  

+1
    Nice looking ski
    That ski is an STX not the 15F. Identical ski just without the add ons. Difference is the Mirrors, boarding step, and reverse. This does not mean it was a race ski. Just how it was built as a cheaper option. I think it was 2007 that was the last year they offered that ski.

OK now I am getting confused... The seller says its an stx-15f 2006
    So is there a STX model as well as an STX-15F 2006 ?
    Where can I find a model guide for the Kawi 2006 lineup ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by minigranis View Post
    OK now I am getting confused... The seller says its an stx-15f 2006
    So is there a STX model as well as an STX-15F 2006 ?
    No need at all to be confused by the model ID. It's as lasportsmn said, one has all the extras on it and one doesn't. Mirrors, boarding step and reverse, that's the difference. If you can live without those options, then consider buying it. If not don't. You could add those options onto it but it might get to be way more expensive than you want it to be.

The other items I saw in the pics where something had been changed from original OEM. Mats look to be diamond pattern hydro-turf. The bumper pads also look to be made out of diamond pattern hydro-turf material.
    Worx sponsons instead of OEM.
    From the pic of the motor compartment, it looks like it has also been fitted with a power filter setup.

Hi !

I am a newbie looking at a STX-15F from 2006 with 106 hours on it, 100 hours service is done.

Looks like the reverse bucket and bording step has been removed. Why would you do that ?
    It is as laportsmn said about the option, or else the owner removed them along with the mirrors for personal preference. Not all that unusual. And no, not a sign of a raced ski...possible, but most likely personal preference.

Again, most likely personal preference.

I know the pump bearing needs to be checked out, anything else I should look at (apart from "noise", compression etc).
    I read something that Kawi replaced the ECU to one with different timing on later models, should I worry about that ?
    Not sure on the year model, use the search function here and it should come up.

I also wonder about pulling tubes etc, I see no hook for that - Am I missing something here ?
    [Edit] Looks like there is a hook in the black "handle" under the saddle is that correct ?
    Correct, that's the one, plenty of power for doing that and more.

Thanks for all the details. I think I got it now

One more question, I read in the service manual that you are supposed to disconnect the spark plug wires from the coils when checking compression. Doing that will however display an errorcode in the display.
    Will that errorcode clear when everything is back together ? Seems odd if you need to take it to a dealer to clear it.

+1
    Hi !

I know the pump bearing needs to be checked out, anything else I should look at (apart from "noice", compression etc).

The tow hook is below the rear grab handle, I can see it in the picture, I believe the ECU change was for the 12f models only. I don't think they made a plain stx model till the 2008 or 2009 model year, looks like the ski has had the top deck repainted, & you can see in the picture the boarding step has been removed, the mounts are visible. Some people think by removing the reverse, mirrors & boarding step it has a cleaner look, but in my opinion defeats the purpose of having a 3 seater in the first place. Also many 'racers' remove these parts thinking they are saving weight, which is negligable, this may explain different handlebars too. The only time I remove the boarding step is to do pump service, this is much easier than removing & resealing the ride plate.

+1
    Thanks for all the details. I think I got it now

One more question, I read in the service manual that you are supposed to disconnect the spark plug wires from the coils when checking compression. Doing that will however display an errorcode in the display.
    Will that errorcode clear when everything is back together ? Seems odd if you need to take it to a dealer to clear it.
    Hopefully someone will post with more detailed info from knowledge and personal experience.

Tried to find my owners manual since I figured it would tell me how to clear the display...didn't find the info in the service manual but I didn't look extensively. Couldn't find my owners manual.
    Soooo, in the event noone else posts here is my uneducated inexperienced reply. LOL I have had zero problems with my 15F so I'm not much help.
    If an error code is present after the compression test, I would disconnect the negative battery cable, perhaps the positive too at the same time, for around five minutes and then reconnect it to make the display reset itself.

A word of caution: The spark plugs on Kawasaki's are known for seizing so when you do get them out, make sure to look and see if they do have anti-seize on them. Looks like silverish lightweight grease. If not, put a light coat on the threads before reinstalling them. Anti seize can be picked up at your local auto parts store.
    It's also important to have a torque wrench when installing plugs so you don't tighten them too much and cause a big problem like stripping the threads out or breaking a plug off. Torque spec is 113 inch pounds or right at 9.5 foot pounds. *make sure you look at your torque wrench to see whether it is reading in inches or foot pounds*
    Last edited by TexasZ; 11-21-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added spark plug torque specs

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

Re: Posible buy 2006 STX-15F

Check my thread in the tech tips section.

Sean

Thanks, very useful info in that thread !!
    Turns out that someone is probably doing a down payment of the ski today, bummer..

+1
    Thanks, very useful info in that thread !!
    Turns out that someone is probably doing a down payment of the ski today, bummer..
    Don't fret, if that one is bought just look around and you will most likely find a ski that you like even better and possibly at a lower price.
    Being informed as to going prices in your area will pay off for you by allowing you to know the difference between a bad or average deal, good deal or a fantastic deal.

Being patient is to your advantage, wait for a great deal on a ski that you can be truly excited about.
    It's off season right now so the deals only get better. Generally the colder the weather the better the price gets.

In cold weather when you can't run them on the water, you have to know how to check them out. That old saying about "most all skis run great on the trailer" has a lot of truth to it. Some skis will run great on the hose on the trailer and then run very badly in the water.

The 2009 15F with 20 hours on it that we bought a few months back ran great on the hose on the trailer. Put it in the water at the lake, it ran good but wouldn't go over about five thousand RPM. We replaced the plugs as we did the compression test and then it would dang near yank your arms off when accelerating all the way up to 7 grand.

The lesson that we learned years ago was to not only bring our compression gauge along to check compression, but to also bring a set of properly gaped new plugs along to replace the old ones as we did the compression test. Had we not done that with the 15F and others, we would not have known that all the ski needed was a fresh set of plugs to make it run like new.
    (We also bring our torque wrench along with our anti-seize to install the new plugs)
    Heck, when we go to look at an older ski, we even bring along a siphon and container to get old bad gas out and have fresh gas with us to put in 'if needed'.

We also bring a really bright flashlight along to look in and up through the jet pump.
    Last edited by TexasZ; 11-21-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added flashlight info

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information