Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

The Theory of Modding one part at a time

The Theory of Modding one part at a time.....Is so rediculously INCONVENIENT

what are you supposed to do, pull the motor out do what you gotta do... test it, then pull the motor back out and change some things again and do more testing?

or do ya just say the hell with measuring the gains from each individual component and put together what you feel is the best combination all at once even when some of the items are new territory?

sway my decision.... bc i'm about to pull everything out of the ski again i have about 2 weeks more of downtime while i wait for some of my engine parts to come back... do i leave things as they are now and get some baseline #s... or do i rip it all apart and do it all at once while i'm down for the next 2 weeks.

if i leave it as is... button up a few loose ends and put it back together... then i'll just be testing it and bringing it back home to rip apart after i jsut finished tidying everything up... decisions

+1
    Steve, I know the feeling ... I RIDE in the summer, MOD in the winter ... this winter I am doing a lot of 'minor' things that should help speed. I wish I could do them one at a time and report back to the forum, but my first priority is enjoying my short riding season. There are some things that I will hold off on, but it may be possible that I might gain 1+ mph from a bunch of small changes and I won't really know which ones added exactly what. But I no longer care ... I will share what I have and what my numbers are in spring. I say make all the inconvenient changes at the same time and minimize downtime, maximize ride time.

There have been many tests done on so much of these mod combos, I think you will be happy with just putting it all on and tweaking once its all together. After all, you do want to ride more this summer dont you? I think get it all in and enjoy the chit out if it!!
    Last edited by RustySeaRustyDoo; 02-12-2007 at 03:22 PM.

+1
    the only bad thing would be let's say i add 9 different components to the ski all at once. i could net a speed gain of let's say 4 mph.... 8 components could be giving you a positive speed gain and one giving me a .5 mph speed loss.... You'll never know that 1 is giving you a speed loss bc u'ev gained overall, but your gain COULD have been 4.5mph if you knew one part was slowing you down.

u are right tho Vern... i made that mistake last summer. i spent my entir esummer borrowing skis from friends bc mine was apart constantly. i always do 100-125 hours per season on my ski.... last summer i pulled off a whopping 13 hours on my ski.... and about 50 hours on other peoples' skis

More Ride Time!!!

+1
    I know doing 1 piece at a time sucks, but if you do a bunch of items at once you never know what part picked up speed or lost speed. I made the mistake on my 550 stroker mod. Did a head mod, porting, carb work, different exhaust and a different pump and impeller combo. Problem was finding out what made me loose the power and speed I had before. I wish I did 1 thing at a time. Just my 2 cents

I agree with Vern. Once mine gets finished, it's done for the year. Some mods only work in conjuction with others, with the whole being greater the sum of the individual parts. "The Package" may be the only way to go faster. Git 'er Done!

If you lived in an all year climate, I would say 1 at a time. But because our riding season is short. Winter=mod summer=ride

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP Steve View Post
    If you lived in an all year climate, I would say 1 at a time. But because our riding season is short. Winter=mod summer=ride
    Oh that is right I live in CA. If someone already has done the mods that you are doing, than it is a give me to do them all at once. Or do the ones you know work for sure then do the couple of other ones after. I forgot about the climate thing.

+1
    there's about 3 or 4 things where they aren't things other people have done before... kinda big things at that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information