Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Riva xx charger question

Hi guy's!

Just baught a used riva xx charger from a member here. Clutch slip is at 12 ft/lbs wich is not bad.

I know the rule of thumb is 1 ft/lbs for each pound of boost but since it is close (13.5 psi @ 8100), should I leave it alone or shim it to get a little higher?

Also apparently it has 14 hours on it but has the gold metal clutch washers, I have a set of riva's as spares with 70 hours on them, wich one should I be using?

Thanks!!

+1
    Toss the riva's (as long as they are 08+) on there without the shim and check the slip. Chances are you'll be around 13-14ft/lbs. I would set the slip with the riva's if they are in good shape.

+1
    duplicate, delete

+1
    12 lbs is 144 inch lbs. If it was mine, Id set to 180 in lbs (15 ft lbs) by using a mixture of mcmaster carr spring washers and oem washers rather than installing a shim. http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1254

Its possible just flipping washers around will give you more grip. I think setting them up )))()spacer nut will yield the highest slip rating.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi8tor View Post
    12 lbs is 144 inch lbs. If it was mine, Id set to 180 in lbs (15 ft lbs) by using a mixture of mcmaster carr spring washers and oem washers rather than installing a shim. http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1254
    Man, is anyone else getting low slip with the McMaster washers going around lately? I've went through 3 sets from 3 different sources and by using all 5 they only hold as much if not LESS slip than OEM... I have to shim them to get 12 ft/lbs.

This was on 3 different chargers too

+1
    Hey OP. If it were me, I would leave it as it is. Just my opinion of course.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    Man, is anyone else getting low slip with the McMaster washers going around lately? I've went through 3 sets from 3 different sources and by using all 5 they only hold as much if not LESS slip than OEM... I have to shim them to get 12 ft/lbs.

Yep, went trough the same situation, just refreshed my friend stock x-charger with new bearings, riva washers and I ended up using 5 macmaster and 1 shim to get only 120 in/lbs.
    I happen to have an old set of macmaster at home (when the online store started to sell them) and a new set (recently purchased) and the old one are about 0.005'' thicker, resulting in higher stiffness.
    Even with a complete kit, I'm only able to get about 95 in/lbs (without any shims) .

+1
    Toss the riva's (as long as they are 08+) on there without the shim and check the slip. Chances are you'll be around 13-14ft/lbs. I would set the slip with the riva's if they are in good shape.
    They look to be in great shape, Of course they have the normal friction wear pattern (shiny) on them.
    How long are the riva's good to last, will they go 200 hours like the new rotax ones??

+1

The reason you guys are seeing lower slip with the McMAsters is because the newer 08+ kits retaining collar is shorter than the prior years and the newer clutch washers are also a tad bit thinner than the Rivas....

+1
    I have several collars & I have them seperated by size. and yes, the Riva washers are fatter.

I think they just changed suppliers.. I had no issues a few yrs ago and could only use 3 Mc's and 2 OEM's no matter what the condition of the clutch was... Well, to extent.. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information