Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Chinderah, New South Wales, Australia, Australia

ultra 150 flipping?!?!?!

Hey guys
    Just picked up my first jet ski. 05 ultra 150.
    Hey I got a question do these things roll over easy? My girl friend and I fell off at slow speed cos we felt like it was gona flip?
    thanks in advance!
    jess
    Last edited by justjmfh; 11-22-2012 at 05:17 AM.

+1
    Congratulations on your first PWC purchase.

"Remember when you rode your first bicycle"? Well, multiply this by 2 since you have someone else distributing weight in a non-unisen manner.

The Ultra-150 weighs only 600 pounds, and is a rather small ski - in comparison to the new 3-seater models now.

If you would have pulled that lever located on the right handlebar - I am certain 1 of 2 things would have happened:

1. Your weight distribution would be "straightened-out" in short order.
    2. You would have lost 1/2 of your weight distribution problem.

On a more serious note - even though the Ultra-150 is defined by the Manufacturer as a "2-Seater" - it is best suited for 1 person.

There are aftermarket parts available for the Ultra-150 that will vastly improve your handling characteristics, like a SM Rideplate, BH Sponsons, R&D Intake Grate - yet these will have a "minimal" effect on watercraft stability under idle or slow speeds.

Good Luck and Have Fun !!!!!!

+1
    It could be worse:

In this situation, it is apparent that there is an "overstressed" 2-Cylinder Sea-Doo that apparently believes Sea-Cows (Manatees) should remain in the water and not on top of the water

oh great thankyou! Well written.
    i wont be scared of that little lever so much anymore.
    I have read about the rideplate and those sponsons and have kept my eye out for them in australia hope i find some!

So are they hard to flip over? Doesnt it do a lot of damage to the ski? and your supposed to roll it back exhaust side out of the water, incase it happens? correct?

oh gosh that was a funny video, we arent that bad!

+1
    I recommend that you try to find an Ultra-150 "Owners Manual" to accompany your new purchase.

There are many questions answered in this book that should be read by any owner - and essentially "before" operating any new PWC.

Good Day Mate

+1
    Spooling did a great write up. That video also shows the more "ahem" stress on the ski , the easier it is to roll over. The lower combined weight of the 2 of you, the more stable it is at low speeds. When I was younger, I'd only take skinny girls with me on my seadoo xp. ( and I married one) Thankfully skis have gotten bigger at approximately the same rate my wife and I have

Around the dock is trickiest place. Instruct her not to lean in to grab the dock at same time you do. I tell my wife to counter balance us by leaning away from dock as I reach over to grab it.

Like spooling said, throttle is your friend. You can save it at slows speeds by learning which way to turn the handlebar and bit of "goose" on throttle. When you are on plane the ski will be much more stable. That ultra 150 is like a sportbike on the water. GREAT FUN SKI.... Take it out by yourself and get comfortable with idling around and tight turns. Feel it out at higher speeds. Once you're comfortable, then take your gf for another ride

Watch some videos on youtube of others riding the ultra 150 http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.jSLZa2ceCns

+1
    Hello and congrats .... on your purchase. The Ultra 150 is a super machine. @ one time it was the fastest ski evermade! They are like so many others in that size / weight ratio very "tilty" sorta speak The max carry weight is around 320lbs if you are of normal size & your girlfriend you most likely are already at max wt. Thus max wt = tilt Ha Ha have fun.

+1
    Congratulations on a great 'Ski, justsmfh!

All PWCs become more stable with speed, they weren't made to go slow. You just have to learn to balance on them when not moving.

Personally, I find the Ultra 150 to be quite stable. I have flipped mine a number of times, but usually when horsing around with 2 people and doing 'wheelies', etc.

+1
    Just to clear things up once the ski is upside down in the water and looking at it from the rear/pump area we roll it back over to the right? And congrats on the purchase, and where about do you ride?

Chad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information