2008 RXP-X Overheated when flushing, kink in hose FML :( assurance and advice needed.

Hey guys,

had a beautiful day on the water ski went awesome! First day out for the season

Now, stupid ass move on my part..
    When flushing the ski (from cold) the hose was kinked and not enough flow was getting through, still getting a little bit of water but not much.. Ran it for about 2-3 mins and The high temp buzzer sounded and I stopped the ski immediately.. There was steam coming from the engine bay..
    At this time I didn't know that there was a kink in a hose and for 20 minutes we were looking for blockages in the exhaust etc.. Anyway found the kink in the hose and realised that was the issue.. Waited for it to cool down and started it up again and it ran fine... No temp buzzer at all.

So, I just need to know what possible damage could have been done by this happening? Could I have cracked the water box and if so how can I start troubleshooting, I have read about them and know a cracked one can sink your ski. but I don't know where it is and what I'm looking for .. I dont know where to start and its quite worrying as I don't want my first outing to end like this because of a stupid oversight!!

Someone please either out my mind at ease or point me in the right direction

thanks

stippa

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

2008 RXP-X Overheated when flushing, kink in hose FML :( assurance and advice needed.

I believe your most likely fine. That's what the buzzer is for. Since it was only idling and not under a load its easier on the engine. After a cool down I would restart it with good water flow and just keep looking in the engine bay for a couple minutes plus you have a closed loop system so the only thing your water is going to is the exhaust. I would just be looking to make sure there's no leaks at the flanges and you should be good

+1
    It will be fine ...

+1
    2-3 minutes on the hose is too long, will burn up that carbon seal. I would do no longer than a minute. Next time you ride just pull the seat back and check for any leaks from hoses that might of possibly burnt but I'm sure you will be fine.

+1
    You are OK, as the water only cools the exhaust side of the ski. Just remove the seat cowling and inspect the exhaust hose, and resonater. Sometimes I have had skis come to me with a clogged IC strainer (Installed by owner)that will cause the same issue in the water and this burns up the exhaust sensor, but they were under running load and why I dont believe yours is hurt. Those are the only things to worry about.
    But you are fine, just inspect to be safe. THIS HEAT cycle does nothing to the motor if this is what you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    You are OK, as the water only cools the exhaust side of the ski. Just remove the seat cowling and inspect the exhaust hose, and resonater. Sometimes I have had skis come to me with a clogged IC strainer (Installed by owner)that will cause the same issue in the water and this burns up the exhaust sensor, but they were under running load and why I dont believe yours is hurt. Those are the only things to worry about.
    But you are fine, just inspect to be safe. THIS HEAT cycle does nothing to the motor if this is what you need to know.
    Does anyone have any pictures of what i should be inspecting? I dont want to sink the ski if there is a cracked hose or anything lol... Sorry guys still mega new at this jet ski business :P

I was thinking to test if there were a leak, should I just flush the ski again for a couple of minutes and see if any water comes out of the bungs...

Quote Originally Posted by stippa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures of what i should be inspecting? I dont want to sink the ski if there is a cracked hose or anything lol... Sorry guys still mega new at this jet ski business :P

I was thinking to test if there were a leak, should I just flush the ski again for a couple of minutes and see if any water comes out of the bungs...

quick bump.. taking it out on sunday, just want to make sure im fine

+1
    im sure your fine, just run it again wo the kink in hose, im sure it was just the exhaust alarm. i run mine for 10s of mins on the hose while messing with it and everything is fine, i dont have a carbon seal so no worries there before anyone brings it up

Thread Information