Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What have a done - Won't start

Hi All,

I have an RXT-X that has a bit of a problem starting,

Today I went out and did some wave jumping down here in Adelaide.

I got a little confident and had an incident where I went up vertical and slammed the bottom of the ski as it came back down into the ocean floor (sand).

The engine stoped as I fell off and now it won't start.

I'm thinking i must of dislodged something in the pump housing as the battery is new and charged and i don't think the engine would have been damaged but who knows? It could be.

It doesn't turn over at all, I even tried taking out the spark plugs and the same issue

Here is a link to what it is doing when i press the start button,

Any ideas on what this could be?

Hopefully it's not to expensive and an easy fix...
    Last edited by pooky; 11-24-2012 at 08:25 AM.

+1
    I would start with looking at your jet pump to see if you have anything trapped between your impeller and wear ring, which could be locking up your ski when youre trying to start it. Although looking at your clip of the rear of the ski, there does appear to be a small amont of movement of the impeller but not much. Id pull the nozzle and pump first, to check this out and see if you can turn the impeller by hand from the drive shaft end. Mind and support the driveshaft with something to take the pressure of the pto seal assembly(block of wood on top of the ride plate usually does the trick) just to keep the shaft central.
    If the pump checks out all okay then i would start looking into the engine bay area, making sure you dont have broken engine mounts, the one at the front looks ok in the clip but check this out(see can you lift the motor or move it. Definately check the rears as there is one at each side at the back of the motor. You`ll need to remove the seat bridge though(upper and lower) to get better access to the motor.
    If the pump and the mounts both check out then your going to have to delve in a bit deeper to find your problem. Hopefully its not going to be too expensive for you.

+1
    Definitely sounds like something is locked up. First check the pump by removing and see if that spins freely. Then if it does you may have a more major engine issue. Hope it works out though

Thanks Guys, Is it easy to remove the pump? I'll start going through the forums to see if i can find a walkthrough or video etc..

once i remove the pump at the back, how can i rotate the impeller by hand? wouldn't the driveshaft be connected directly to the engine and thus won't be able to rotate?

+1
    Go to the Doo "How too section "
    Pump removal is a few threads down.

You have some to diagnosis.
    Are you getting power with key on? (Gauge, fuel pump)
    Any fire to the starter?
    Is something locked up?

Hoping your mounts stayed in place, but I'm guessing when you landed that could have been a ton of force between motor and drive shaft .
    Last edited by skoepp; 11-24-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Go to the "How too section "
    Pump removal is a few threads down.

You have alot to diagnosis.
    Are you getting fire?
    Is something locked up?

Hoping for not the worst, but I guessing when you landed that would have been a ton of force between motor and driveshaft .

Thanks, I'll check out the how to section now

The engine doesn't crank at at, it sounds ike it is seized, but i doubt it would be.

I think when i came down I must of bent something, or put something out of allignment which is restricting the engine to crank.

I have checked the front mounts and all looks ok, I tried to wiggle the engine and it seams like it is sturdy and the mounts are ok but i can't see the rear ones because of the pipes etc.

everytime i crank the engine the impeller does rotate slightly, so i'm guessing the pistons are moving ok, It just feels like an allignment thing...but i'm not expert

Will check out the how to sections now and see if i can remove the pump...

Banned User
    +1
    What year RXTX? My father has an 08' and the 2nd summer we had it the starter relay went to crap...By the battery, you will see the 2 posts, one is for the positive lead going to the starter, the other form the battery...jump it with a screw driver. If it cranks, then put the key on and try again. If it starts, then replace the relay housing...

+1
    Double post.

+1
    relay i bet

+1
    I'd check the relay 1st.
    Then check the connections on the battery.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information