Winterization Question

I am new to the sport and picked up my first machine a month or two ago, a 2001 XPL. Previous owner winterized it October/November 2011 and hasn't used it since. I live in NJ and dont plan to do anything with it until spring. Should I fully winterize it again? Or is there an abbreviated winterizing i should complete? I read that gas stabilizer is good fro two years, although bottle says one year. Has anyone let their gas sit for two years or should i drain the tank and put in fresh gas & stabilizer?

Thanks.

-john

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

Winterization Question

Quote Originally Posted by johna56 View Post
    I am new to the sport and picked up my first machine a month or two ago, a 2001 XPL. Previous owner winterized it October/November 2011 and hasn't used it since. I live in NJ and dont plan to do anything with it until spring. Should I fully winterize it again? Or is there an abbreviated winterizing i should complete? I read that gas stabilizer is good fro two years, although bottle says one year. Has anyone let their gas sit for two years or should i drain the tank and put in fresh gas & stabilizer?

Thanks.

-john
    Did u run in when you bought it? If so I would leave the fuel and run it and re fog it both thru the carbs and down the spark plug holes. If you didn't run it I would just take the plugs out and spray some fogging oil down it and try to spin it with a rag over the holes and be done with it. Next spring I would siphon the fuel probably. Where you located in nj? I'm in brick

Thanks for the advice. I ran it long enough to hear it and rev it. Given the age and the owner I know I may need to do a number of things - jet pump, rave valves, wear ring, etc. I picked up 2 more non running xp's in a double trailer purchase so I plan on pulling one of those apart over the winter so I have some idea what I'm doing to this one come spring. I'll refog it and call it a day, and drain the fuel in the spring. Year round I'm in Essex County and we (still) have a place in Chadwick Beach. Our house only took in water but given the condition of Mantoloking, Ortley and Seaside, who know if there will be a beach season next year.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by cascivic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johna56 View Post

Thanks.

-john
    Did u run in when you bought it? If so I would leave the fuel and run it and re fog it both thru the carbs and down the spark plug holes. If you didn't run it I would just take the plugs out and spray some fogging oil down it and try to spin it with a rag over the holes and be done with it. Next spring I would siphon the fuel probably. Where you located in nj? I'm in brick

+1
    I would plan on doing carb rebuilds in the spring before even using it. Have the fuel lines been changed?

Thread Information