valve measurements

I don't know if this has ever been quantified but since I record shit, here it is. After an additional 110 hours I checked the clearance and compared it to what I setup at 75 hours since new. The valves were intentionally set as close to the loose limits at .29mm and .21mm (+/-.02 or so) I learned three things and verified that setting valves loose is good, just like with motorcycles. The valves tightened up by a maximum of .03mm worst case after 110 hours. Setting the exhaust valves on the loose side meant I don't have to make any adjustments this time. At the current rate of change of .03mm the valves will stay well within limits for another 100 hours. Setting near the loose end is good for maintenence (no pull-em cam this time) and valve longevity.

rt
    Last edited by rotortiller; 11-24-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added words 'an additional' for clarity

+1
    Loose limits on the exhaust valves would be .55 mm.

Intake .24 mm.

So I'm a little confused by your settings...

If you are .29mm on the exhaust side, then you are tight.

Look at the picture to the left of the post. The only thing I like tight is pussy EX 0.22 - 0.31 mm (0.0087 - 0.0122 in.)
    IN 0.15 - 0.24 mm (0.0059 - 0.0094 in.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Loose limits on the exhaust valves would be .55 mm.

Intake .24 mm.

So I'm a little confused by your settings...

If you are .29mm on the exhaust side, then you are tight.

+1
    Well here goes the attempt of not sounding too much like an Engineer... I know how much Engineers are loved & respected in this forum! (SMILE)

I would think that having the valve clearances set "tight" close to the smallest clearance allowable would provide maximum HP (read: valve lift) available by this pump (engine). Of course the maintenance of the valve train becomes more important as wear of the seat/valve interface causes the clearances to become less over time. Given enough time, or lack of maintenance eventually causing incomplete valve closure/sealing (leaking) to occur.

The question I have is the trade-off of higher clearances (read: less maintenance) come at a "measurable" expense of HP/efficiency?

+1
    i always set on the looser side during a rebuild, and try to keep each valve as close as possible to the next

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    Look at the picture to the left of the post. The only thing I like tight is pussy EX 0.22 - 0.31 mm (0.0087 - 0.0122 in.)
    IN 0.15 - 0.24 mm (0.0059 - 0.0094 in.)
    Yeah, I like a tight little kitty too... but where are you getting your exhaust valve specs from? My 2011 Kawasaki shop manual says this:

Exhaust: .47-.55 mm or .0185-.0217"

The factory manual for naturally aspirated versions...you know the lower class shit us poor guys ride.
    Check it out dude.I have a later version of the same manual with the same specs.

http://web.missouri.edu/~pmt257/Jets...4-05JT1500.pdf
    http://www.guppa.se/downloads/Kawasa...viceManual.pdf

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    yes the above is true , that tighter valve clearances can maximize cam lift ...........BUT that is only if the engine needs or wants more lift, cylinder / camshaft efficiencies come into play ....so NOT always will an engine gain HP by reducing clearances ............I have seen cams that want X clearance and that provides MAX hp for set combo

also then considering that valve durability can be increased by ( increasing clearances ) INCREASING valve-seat duration to increase valve head cooling

So their is a fine line with HP engines and MAINTENANCE is ALWAYS the answer , and more often then not preventative maintenance is the key.

Waz
    I understand... Your comments above are enlightening/insightful, especially with regard to the Valve Head cooling.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom on the subject!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    The factory manual for naturally aspirated versions...you know the lower class shit us poor guys ride.
    Check it out dude.I have a later version of the same manual with the same specs.
    Oh, sorry man. For some reason I thought that you had a 300. My bad.

Thread Information