Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Full Head Swap Step by Step

I have an 05 and am swapping in a late 06 head with correct valves and I have fully smoothed all ports. Since the cams have to be swapped to the new head can some point me in the right direction or give me a step by step on what needs to be done? Any picture references would also be great.

+1
    You definitely have to pull the rockers and rocker shaft out to get the cam out, the oil jet on the block will also need removed as the 06 rocker shaft is different and doesnt use the jet, unless your using the old rocker shaft. You'll need new head bolts or studs, new head gasket and new rocker shaft bolts.

+1
    I am reusing my rocker shaft. I always replace with ARP. I have wasted too many engines(not ski engines) due to TTY crap. I am going with the MLS higher compression gasket to quench some unused cylinder space and make the engine more efficient overall since I don't plan on going with anything larger than a 2 rude.

I need to know how to remove it all properly, and get the timing perfect. Thanks for the heads up on the rocker shaft!

+1
    If you dont already have the cam and crank locking tools go ahead and get them. It makes getting everything back together very easy. Its not a hard job at all bro.

Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    You definitely have to pull the rockers and rocker shaft out to get the cam out, the oil jet on the block will also need removed as the 06 rocker shaft is different and doesnt use the jet, unless your using the old rocker shaft. You'll need new head bolts or studs, new head gasket and new rocker shaft bolts.
    This is wrong information. If you have a 06+ head, you cannot use an earlier rocker shaft, you must pull the oil jet and go with the later rocker shaft. The early heads are cross-drilled and feed the low pressure oil thru several ports to the early shaft. The late head does not have this cross-drilling passage, so you will feed the low pressure oil only on one port, starving the #1 area of the rockers with oil.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    I am reusing my rocker shaft. I always replace with ARP. I have wasted too many engines(not ski engines) due to TTY crap. I am going with the MLS higher compression gasket to quench some unused cylinder space and make the engine more efficient overall since I don't plan on going with anything larger than a 2 rude.

I need to know how to remove it all properly, and get the timing perfect. Thanks for the heads up on the rocker shaft!
    Per my note above, do not reuse your old rocker shaft! You need to pull the oil jet and get a 06+ rocker shaft.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    This is wrong information. If you have a 06+ head, you cannot use an earlier rocker shaft, you must pull the oil jet and go with the later rocker shaft. The early heads are cross-drilled and feed the low pressure oil thru several ports to the early shaft. The late head does not have this cross-drilling passage, so you will feed the low pressure oil only on one port, starving the #1 area of the rockers with oil.
    +1, I made this mistake before, the valvetrain did not sound healthy at all... So I did some digging and found I had a late head with early shaft, so I pulled the restrictor from the block and ran the late rocker shaft with just the 1 small oil feed hole. Runs perfect now...

You will see the restictor just by the oil filter in the deck of the block.

There is a how too on here some place to help get it out.

R88

+1
    +1 on rocker assembly.. It Can Get Ugly very Ugly above 9500 rpm's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post

Per my note above, do not reuse your old rocker shaft! You need to pull the oil jet and get a 06+ rocker shaft.
    SO any 06 will work? It's not like the valves where some work and some dont?

Is there a part # I can reference?

+1
    go on ebay theres a bunch goto the oem parts finder get a part number.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information