Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Has anyone had an issue with a 4 stroke ski from not winterizing?

I'm curious about winterizing. I live near DFW and keep my skis in a garage. In 12 years of owning skis, I've never winterized them and never had an issue with them in the spring. I'll crank them up periodically in the garage and put them on a trickle charger occasionally, but nothing beyond that. I'm sure that location and climate plays a big part in winterizing. Here it doesn't get THAT cold really.

I've heard of people locally with old SeaDoo two strokes that would have problems after winter, but I've never heard of a 4 stroke ski having an issue after the winter.

Has anyone on here had an issue with a 4 stroke ski after winterizing or more importantly, NOT winterizing?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I'm curious about winterizing. I live near DFW and keep my skis in a garage. In 12 years of owning skis, I've never winterized them and never had an issue with them in the spring. I'll crank them up periodically in the garage and put them on a trickle charger occasionally, but nothing beyond that. I'm sure that location and climate plays a big part in winterizing. Here it doesn't get THAT cold really.

I've heard of people locally with old SeaDoo two strokes that would have problems after winter, but I've never heard of a 4 stroke ski having an issue after the winter.

Has anyone on here had an issue with a 4 stroke ski after winterizing or more importantly, NOT winterizing?
    Number 1 issue if you do not start it at all and just let it sit there is a chance that a valve might stick open on you, And usually it will be a exhaust valve that the cam lobe is stopped on the lobe side.

+1
    So saying, don't winterize, just start it periodically?

+1
    If in garage what i do is put stable in gas and i start it about a minute once a week and for that short time you will not need to put it on the hose and you will not have any issues.

5. +1 by:

+1
    You'll probably be fine as long as you add stabil. I have heard that people suggest not starting your waverunner for short periods of time. I'd have to look for links, but there seemed to be moisture introduced to the engine that doesn't get burned off unless you bring it up to operating temps. But I've also heard you're suppose to keep your gas tank full and I've never done that. So, I'm sure you'll be fine doing what you're doing.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    one thing that guys all over motorcycle forums always talk about but i notice no one in the pwc communities seem to say (imho) is usually guys say not to start an engine unless your going to run it up to temp fully under a load because it doesn't have a chance to burn off the condensation that occurs from temperature swings, and that can make sludge deposits..i dunno just throwing it out there i winterize here in nj and mines outside so its a different ballgame. I never fogged my bikes just used a stabilizer with a full tank and i was fine. I know your supposed to fog a pwc because the moisture tha'ts inside the waterbox/ manifold over time can creep up to the valves and start corroding sooner(on a bike you obviously don't have that issue)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    You'll probably be fine as long as you add stabil. I have heard that people suggest not starting your waverunner for short periods of time. I'd have to look for links, but there seemed to be moisture introduced to the engine that doesn't get burned off unless you bring it up to operating temps. But I've also heard you're suppose to keep your gas tank full and I've never done that. So, I'm sure you'll be fine doing what you're doing.
    What happens is the water that lays in the water box and the high humidity here in the south, when the exhaust valve is open it build up rust on the stem and it sticks open have seen a whole bunch of them here. So you are better off starting it every so often to move the valves up and down then have one stick and have to pull a head off. Just my 2 cents like i said have seen way to many stick not to start the motor for months, and i have been starting mine weekly for years without any issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    If in garage what i do is put stable in gas and i start it about a minute once a week and for that short time you will not need to put it on the hose and you will not have any issues.
    Yes to the above, and I would also not let the Battery drain to "zero" . . . Battery tender is the way to go. Out here in Los Angeles we don't need to winterize as the riding season is "year round". But if I don't ride for more than a couple of weeks I will start them up just to keep the engine parts moving. And I don't put the seat back on in the "latched" position until I am sure there is zero water in the hull / bilge area. JB

10. +1 by:

+1
    Anyone know the answer to the original question?

Anyone know the answer to the original question?

No. And remember . . . you've got a couple of Yamahas here. Plus they are inside in a garage. Even if you did absolutely nothing I bet those things would be just fine next Spring and never miss a step. JB

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information