Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie just got my first ski XLT 1200 - 2004 with Riva kit.

Hello !
    I just bought my first ski, I got a 2004 XLT 1200 with 190 hours.
    Compression is 140 psi on all three jugs Runs 63 mph according to seller (not on GPS)

The ski is equipped with "Riva" kit the seller says but he has no clue on what actually is installed. He imported the ski from the US to Sweden (where I live) a few years back.

I will post some pictures here and hope that I can get some help to identify whats what on the ski. One thing I noticed that the cylinder heads are marked with Riva/Yamaha - thats probably not the original heads is it ?

According to the seller the ski runs "great" (its to cold here now to test) BUT if you have been on idle for a "long" time it boogs down and will not takeoff as it should. Pumping the gas once in a while when on idle is what he recomends. He tells me that its probably "rich" on idle but he hasnt done anyting about is since he is afraid that it will cause the ski to go lean (with heating problems) on WOT. The ski is not running premix.

Does this make sense to you experienced guys ? The ski have not seen a carb rebuild over the last 5-6 years.

My plan is to:
    • Change plugs
    • Change fuel filter
    • Change/clean oil filter
    • Check oil hoses to carb
    • Install Waveeaters (if not used)

And maybe:
    • Carb rebuild
    • Shorten/Replace spark plug wires
    • Check if cat or D-plate is installed

Anything else that I should look at ? Should perhaps the maybe's be a "must" item ?
    (And I know - "This tread is worthless with out...." - Pics are coming as soon as I have it in my garage)

Banned User
    +1
    Replace fuel lines, add a primer system, carbs rebuilt and mods done to them. I'd then chuck the cat con and get a d plate and chip. Run Amsoil interceptor or a high quality
    Syn oil. New fuel filters, plugs and wave waters will be needed as well. Remove all old gas before start up and putting on redone carbs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by minigranis View Post
    Hello !
    I just bought my first ski, I got a 2004 XLT 1200 with 190 hours.
    Compression is 140 psi on all three jugs Runs 63 mph according to seller (not on GPS)

The ski is equipped with "Riva" kit the seller says but he has no clue on what actually is installed. He imported the ski from the US to Sweden (where I live) a few years back.

I will post some pictures here and hope that I can get some help to identify whats what on the ski. One thing I noticed that the cylinder heads are marked with Riva/Yamaha - thats probably not the original heads is it ?

According to the seller the ski runs "great" (its to cold here now to test) BUT if you have been on idle for a "long" time it boogs down and will not takeoff as it should. Pumping the gas once in a while when on idle is what he recomends. He tells me that its probably "rich" on idle but he hasnt done anyting about is since he is afraid that it will cause the ski to go lean (with heating problems) on WOT. The ski is not running premix.

Does this make sense to you experienced guys ? The ski have not seen a carb rebuild over the last 5-6 years.

My plan is to:
    • Change plugs
    • Change fuel filter
    • Change/clean oil filter
    • Check oil hoses to carb
    • Install Waveeaters (if not used)

And maybe:
    • Carb rebuild
    • Shorten/Replace spark plug wires
    • Check if cat or D-plate is installed

Anything else that I should look at ? Should perhaps the maybe's be a "must" item ?
    (And I know - "This tread is worthless with out...." - Pics are coming as soon as I have it in my garage)
    It sounds like your on the wright track. like you said some pics would help. try to get some of the carbs. it sounds like it may have flame arrestors on it. if he has riva heads it probably has a D plate already installed and if the top sensor is not plugged in it probably has the chip.

Keep us up to date and get those pics posted.

Thanks guys, looks like I have done my home work then.
    I will post pics later.

A have a really nice set or rare sponson for the xlt. It eliminates the chine walking on the xlts at high speed. Thats the side to side feeling you will feel.
    If your interested its in the classifieds, international shipping will be a couple of dollars extra.
    PM me if your interested.

Now I got the ski in my garage, funny I towed it home in the first snowfall here in Stockholm.
    It would be great if you all can help me identify whats on the ski.
    I have no clue (and neither the seller) as to what the knob and hose on the exhaust does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01748.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	287891

Name:	DSC01749.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	287892

Name:	DSC01750.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	287893

Name:	DSC01751.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	287894

Name:	DSC01753.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	287895
    Last edited by minigranis; 11-28-2012 at 03:59 PM.

+1
    You have the S3 Stinger exhaust... No need for a d-plate

you have the upgraded sponsons too! spray that thing down with some crc 656 or wd40 or something! strart getting rid of all that rust!

Quote Originally Posted by VdeKock View Post
    You have the S3 Stinger exhaust... No need for a d-plate
    Ok, does this mean that the cat. is gone as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    you have the upgraded sponsons too! spray that thing down with some crc 656 or wd40 or something! strart getting rid of all that rust!
    Will do, the hull needs massive gelcoat work as well. But the winter is long here..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information