Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ben's secret mods resignator question

Step 4 in Ben's secret mods he talks about removing the resignatior.

"The first thing that comes to mind is we need to get rid of a little more weight and get that sound baffer out of the boat that does you no good. By removing the baffer (the big black plastic box talking up so much between your water box and exhaust outlet) we are saving us some pain in the future. These babies will crack or get holes in them over time, I've seen a few melt away do to lack of water running thur your exhaust hoses. Every had a water line pop off going to your pipe. It doesn't take much to get this baby. Well for around $30 its gone and you save a little weight and you make more room in your hull." "The correct parts to bypass this feature can be order from a older 98 model ski that doesn't have this feature. Also I believe they don't have them on the ones across the big ocean from us."

I have a 2000 XPL that I am working on over the winter and wonder if I do this suggestion of Ben's if I need to re-jet my carbs? I noticed that the book has a spec for the 98 XPL that is different than the 2000 XPL. Does anyone know for sure if I have to re-jet or do any other modification if I remove the resignator? Or, can I just simply remove it?

Its the nasty looking black plastic piece on the left hand side that the water box hose is connected to.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	287966  

+1
    Easy to remove and install a 98 pipe to the waterbox and exhaust outlet.

I actually prefer it use it and to keep the noise down as it doesn't hinder power or performance in anyway.

Maybe getting old !!!! but I cant handle a barky beast now.

It wont require a re jet if you remove it, if you change air filters or an aftermarket pipe you will need to re jet.

Those battery lead terminals need cleaning up for sure.

+1
    Thanks surf! I am working on the entire cleaning of the boat this winter here in the states. I decided to pull the engine to get everything just right. (pic attached of the before and after on the engine compartment for ref on what it should look like when I am done)

My concern with the resignator was that it somehow was modifying the back-pressure and could lean out the engine. I did some reading on sites like Factory Pipe.com to see if they recommend any different mods with their setup (98 to 2000 XP). I also did some google searches to see about that jetting difference. I really want to prevent myself from having any issues. Especially if I am the one to cause the problem.

Did you mod your boat to all of the mods that are in that post of Ben's? Did you also remove your rubber cover from the waterbox?

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	287974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3697.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	287975  
    Last edited by diamondwatercraft; 11-30-2012 at 03:56 PM.

+1
    I removed the resignator from mine it didn't do a thing for performance. But IMO it does make it sound better. Having seen Ben's ski run in person it was one fast ski. Good whole shot and top end.

+1
    Thanks for the reply M. I just do not want to do anything that will hurt the engine. Like he said it does save some weight. I also am undecided about the sponsons. It will make it much easier to change out come this summer.

After reading his post I knew I had my winter project! I cant seem to bring myself to buy a 4 stroke. Just too big for my liking.

+1

Bilge Pump question

OK, got the rest of the rear hatch dis-assembled today and now I am confused about the bilge pump. The picture shown shows the fitting through the hull that the bilge pump was connected to. In other words this is the outlet for the pump. If you look closely the nozzle is capped! (circled in red) How can this pump pump out any water when the end is capped? You can see the hose that is disconnected next to the cap, it has the clamp on it just sitting there.

The next pic I have placed a siphon block under the driveshaft. Has anyone ever noticed that water just cant drain fast enough from these hulls? I was thinking of mounting one of the siphon blocks as pictured. What do you think? Has anyone ever done it before?

Name:	101.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	288014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	288005  
    Last edited by diamondwatercraft; 12-01-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Re: Ben's secret mods resignator question

Can the exhaust baffle be removed on a 99gsxl? What year and model has the part I need to replace it.

+1
    I think you would have to almost search a 98 GSXL. See what kind of exhaust setup that has.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondwatercraft View Post
    OK, got the rest of the rear hatch dis-assembled today and now I am confused about the bilge pump. The picture shown shows the fitting through the hull that the bilge pump was connected to. In other words this is the outlet for the pump. If you look closely the nozzle is capped! (circled in red) How can this pump pump out any water when the end is capped? You can see the hose that is disconnected next to the cap, it has the clamp on it just sitting there.

That cap shouldn't be their try to get it off as its probably glued on.

The next pic I have placed a siphon block under the driveshaft. Has anyone ever noticed that water just cant drain fast enough from these hulls? I was thinking of mounting one of the siphon blocks as pictured. What do you think? Has anyone ever done it before?
    The stock bailer screens are not very efficient in removing water. The best way is to install a set of 06 and on SEADOO Drain Valves.These are slightly larger and require a larger hole in the hull but they work perfectly.The beauty of them is they pick up almost every ounce of water because they sit right at the rear and when you accelerate water is forced back and sucked out. The other important point is they have a ball valve inside them so if you forget to tighten your drain plugs before you go out water doesn't siphon back in and sink your ski.
    A must for surf riding as they keep your hull dry and clean.

All you have to do is remove the stock bailer screens and hose and reattach the hose onto the new drain valve .

Name:	Drain plugs.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	288015  

Re: Ben's secret mods resignator question

I did, stock unit from when it was first produced uses the resinator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information