Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

External fuel tanks

Hi all. I don't know if many of you do long distance riding but here in Australia, we do like then long ride.
    this presents a problem with fuel - especially for those one supercharged skis.

One of the guys here came up with a plan to install an external fuel tank onto his Ultra300. I have a '12 FXHO and have done one also, although as of writing, I have not completed it yet as I am still to install the quick connects for the fuel lines.....
    anyway, this is the system below.....

Basically, the tank is a 12 gal (45L) marine fuel tank. Using 1/4"(6mm) fuel hose, one line is taken from the fuel outlet on the external tank and delivered to the breather inlet on the OEM tank. The breather from the OEM tank is then taken to the top of the fuel cap on the external tank to minimize any chance of sucking water in when riding.......

i will be taking mine out to test it this week, so I will report back then.....

Nice setup, as I understand it this would drain into the main tank without any fuel pump needed correct?

+1

External fuel tanks

Looks good. Let us know how it works

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePWCLife View Post
    Hi all. I don't know if many of you do long distance riding but here in Australia, we do like then long ride.
    this presents a problem with fuel - especially for those one supercharged skis.

One of the guys here came up with a plan to install an external fuel tank onto his Ultra300. I have a '12 FXHO and have done one also, although as of writing, I have not completed it yet as I am still to install the quick connects for the fuel lines.....
    anyway, this is the system below.....

Basically, the tank is a 12 gal (45L) marine fuel tank. Using 1/4"(6mm) fuel hose, one line is taken from the fuel outlet on the external tank and delivered to the breather inlet on the OEM tank. The breather from the OEM tank is then taken to the top of the fuel cap on the external tank to minimize any chance of sucking water in when riding.......

i will be taking mine out to test it this week, so I will report back then.....
    I do not understand how the fuel from the extra tank is going to get forced into the oem tank. Can someone explain this to me? Tommy Jordan

+1
    im not 100% but i think the way it works is that all pwc fuel systems are under presser so if u put positive presser in the vent on the external tank it will then force the gas out of the pcik up and in to the gas tank

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by littledart View Post
    im not 100% but i think the way it works is that all pwc fuel systems are under presser so if u put positive presser in the vent on the external tank it will then force the gas out of the pcik up and in to the gas tank
    Tanks are not presurized they are vented with a one way valve that will not let fuel leak out in a roll over situation. This check valve also will release any pressure that get over 2-3 psi in the tank. this is why you get a little air escape when you remove the fuel cap. Any one got a explination on how the fuel will get from the extra tank to the oem tank? Tommy Jordan

Banned User
    +1
    By connecting the vent from the main tank to the fuel pickup on the extra tank, as fuel is drawn out of the main tank, fuel is sucked back into the main tank from the auxiliary tank. Its really pretty simple. You then have the vent connected to the auxiliary tank.

Looks nice word love to do the same but to small of deck on my xp

+1
    It's VERY simple and works very well. I've done a couple of long rides and its come in handy. rbeau1990 - you don't have to use this particular tank. Find any fuel tank that will fit your rear deck.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Tanks are not presurized they are vented with a one way valve that will not let fuel leak out in a roll over situation. This check valve also will release any pressure that get over 2-3 psi in the tank. this is why you get a little air escape when you remove the fuel cap. Any one got a explination on how the fuel will get from the extra tank to the oem tank? Tommy Jordan

Bump this thread from the dead. For yamaha fxho 2012+, you would disconnect the vent line at the check valve #27 (from that line it goes to the extra tank output)? Then from the extra tank's vent on top connects back to the check valve that was removed earlier. Just confirming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extra_gas_tank.1txt.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	415728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel_tank.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	415727  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information