Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyone!

Talking Hi Everyone!

I purchased an MSX 150 (62 hours) about 3 months ago as a project. I used to have a supercharged mustang (96) back in the highschool / college days, but that ship has sailed. I'm more of a garage tinkerer than a gearhead though. I just got married and have been looking for a garage hobby. I live in south LA just above New Orleans and figured a watercraft would be perfect and fit my fun budget. I'm really looking forward to pulling some tubes and eventually getting into pwc fishing!

So the past several months I've been doing some work on the trailer (I swear this thing must have been made with the dinosaurs) including: paint, brake lights, vehicle wiring connector, and a winch post & winch. Now that I've completed those I've moved on to the MSX itself.

When I picked up the pwc we had to charge the battery (new) for a few hours before it would start, but it cranked right on with the charge. I also noticed that when i pulled the lanyard out the pwc kept running! I now know I have a busted power down interface. After the initial start the pwc did start right up again about 20 minutes later.

So in the meantime, while I locate an interface, I'm concerned with the fact that I can't get the pwc to start again. The battery is only a few months old, but I have a sneaky feeling that the busted interface being connected this whole time has sucked the life out of it.

The battery will charge to 100% on my charger and it reads 12.4 voltage idle. When I crank the pwc it drops to about 10.1, but again I can't get the ski to turnover. Can anyone comment on this possible battery issue? I hoping a new battery will do the trick, or maybe the interface is giving me starting fits.

I've also replaced the flush hose connector and the seat is dry rotted, so that needs to be recovered.

These are the only current issues I've come across and the previous owner stated the ski did run good.

For me, this pwc isn't just a project, but an opportunity to get off the computer, out of the office, and utilize the great outdoors around me! I'm very excited to be have found an online community like this and look forward to the challenges this project will throw at me.

Last edited by mabguru; 12-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

+1
    Once a battery discharges past a certain level, it never really recovers fully. While you might have a few problems, it's obvious you need a battery. Low batteries also make electronics act very strange.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You might want to look at these web pages

Welcome.

+1
    If the ski won't even turn over ie the starter motor won't spin, then I would suspect you have other issues aside from needing a new battery...... Go with K447's link above!!!^^^^^

I have the new battery installed (thanks Jon, delivery was fast). The pwc will crank but won't start. I last started the pwc on 10/20 with the same issue. I sprayed some starter fluid, added about 5 gallons of gas (tank was about empty), and charged the (then) battery. I started it twice that day, the second time with no issues.

I will try to add new gas, starter fluid, and maybe a fuel additive.

Any tips based on the above?

+1
    Have you done a compression test yet?
    Have you confirmed you are getting spark to the plugs while cranking?
    Pull the fuel rail with injectors off (2 bolts)... put a rag under them and try to start it. See if they are spraying (use caution due to gasoline). I'm betting they are not.
    Check voltage across new battery terminals *while* cranking. What do you get?

Good luck!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Have you done a compression test yet?
    Have you confirmed you are getting spark to the plugs while cranking?
    Pull the fuel rail with injectors off (2 bolts)... put a rag under them and try to start it. See if they are spraying (use caution due to gasoline). I'm betting they are not.
    Check voltage across new battery terminals *while* cranking. What do you get?

Good luck!
    Edit: Ficht comments do not apply to the Weber engine in the MSX 150

Avoid starter fluid. Prime with a small amount of gasoline down the throttle bodies as a test, but beware of potential backfires. Do not be leaning over the intakes!
    Last edited by K447; 12-14-2012 at 04:46 PM.

+1
    Are the Ficht diagnostics going to work on his Weber 4-stroke engine (MSX 150)?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information