Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My GPR Issue's...

Hi Guys

it's been a while since ive been on here, I rebuilt my gp1200r and (from Australia) sent the carbies to OsideBill to work his magic. I put it all together, and it ran sweet as a nut until..... on the 4th time on it, my brother decided to clean the side of my ski up with a Campion Allante 545 Bowrider. and punched a hole it the top it took the ski back inshore, but the rear exahust coupling disloged and filled the ski right up with lovely sea water. Stupidly after draining the ski I turned the engine over. it ran but revved erratically... I think maybe hydro-lock? I neglected to do anything with it for the past 10 months but now I want it fixed up, it has not run for 10 months, but started after about 10 seconds which I was stoked about. I have removed the battery box to get a better look, as I am thinking maybe I have blown the rear crank seal.. from what I can 'feel' and best explain the crank seal sit's flush with the crank casing on one side but is sticking out at least 4mm the other side. Is this normal.

thanks guys.

if that engine injested water and its 10 months later its officially a paperweight! The cases and head and cylinders you can probably salvage the rest is garbage!!!!
    Your gonna need a new crank, piston sets bearings......anything that moves up or down or spins essentially.

If water was up to the crabs also send the carbs back to Bill!

Banned User
    +1
    yeah sounds like your more than likely f-d. take your engine internals and put them in a bucket outside and tell me what you thinks going to happen. your going to need to pull the motor and check the damage out before moving forward.

+1
    no one answered the actual question lol. no thats not normal.

6. +1 by:

I ran the ski for about 2 hours (idle) on the tap to make sure I got all water out shortly after it all happened. does this make a difference to the paper weight theory?

Banned User
    +1
    Pull the motor and you will know

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash-White View Post
    I ran the ski for about 2 hours (idle) on the tap to make sure I got all water out shortly after it all happened. does this make a difference to the paper weight theory?
    Yes, that was a good thing to do and hopefully it was enough to save the engine from becoming a paper weight. You'll find out for sure when you tear it down to replace that leaking crank seal.

Update*****

I've removed the exhaust system ready to lift the engine out tonight. I did a quick compression check, all cylinder are running on 120psi, Il post some pics tonight once the engine is out.

Banned User
    +1
    great news man on the psi...but that doesnt tell us if the internals are rusting away. so far so good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information