+1

How to build a bullet proof engine???

Well the bug just bit again!! Lol I was wondering what needs to be one to an engine to run at 9200 rpms and 20lb of boost safely? My block is stock and the head has retainers and springs only.

+1
    Im building a engine currently for 10k rpm. I will tell you nothing is bullet proof nothing. Good preperation is a good place to start. I started with a 08 block that had a perfect bore so all I had to do was Hone/deck and some slight tweaking. I went to 9.5 cp's, Had my crankshaft magnafluxed,checked for straightness,and balanced. I went with Carrillo Rods to finish lower half off. Very Critical to follow proper stretch on rod bolts(if going carrillo rods please balance your crankshaft), also taking your time being methodical is a plus. As Far as the cylinder Head(im going a bit radical) Im going and recommend supertech as well as the valves.

Now thats all assuming your wanted to rebuild a complete motor.

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    ARP head studs are a must for a bulletproof engine!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsakosgt View Post
    I have to disagree, brand new stock bolts torqued correctly on a fresh head gasket is safe as houses too....

If you need to take your head off regually than the bolts will pay for them selfs.

R88

+1
    R88 I have to agree to disagree with ya. If I was building a stock motor hands down Oem bolts all the way and any day. There is absolutely nothing wrong with OEM Bolts never had one problem. Remember we are talking about a motor built for over 9k rpm so we have to put all the variables in play.Number 1 We have to assume we will be pulling the cylinder head off sometime our taking it apart for something our another,mistake,startup trying different head combo etc. One change bought 140 set of arp's. Oem Headbolts are tourqe to Yield, I have read where members here say they reuse old Head bolts just measure them why skimp. Go ahead and measure the bolt (make sure you measure the integrity of the bolt as well) but don't show me one measurement unless its a stretch measurement Under tourqe and if you can get a stretch measurement in there(stretch gauge) I Will reuse the Bolts you measure.

I will Say Hands Down Oem Head Gasket all the way..
    Last edited by shrabber; 12-02-2012 at 07:02 PM.

+1
    I've personally seen too many variances on the OEM bolts to recommend them for a "bullet proof" motor. ARP and CARR have been manufacturing top of the line hardware for years and is the way to go IMO.

DCC Motorsports O-rings the block and uses a custom gasket to maintain head sealing under high boost.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsakosgt View Post
    I have to disagree, brand new stock bolts torqued correctly on a fresh head gasket is safe as houses too....

If you need to take your head off regually than the bolts will pay for them selfs.

R88
    TTY fasteners are assembly plant friendly. One of the main reasons they use TTY fasteners in manufacturing is because of the flexibility on installation, differences in final angle will yield the same final torque. No heat cycling either.
    Not saying they are junk but something to consider.

Thread Information