+1

Hard Lesson- Heed Warning Buzer!

Went out today with Jim to test my new mods (ET 15.5, thru hull, etc..) and I learned a hard lesson- turn your ski off if the buzzer goes off showing the temp indicator! I had sucked a whole bunch of seaweed and at the same time it went into limp mode. Thinking I had one bar of fuel left I thought I was low on gas. That was the worst asumption I ever made. I brought it back under limp mode to find a hull full of smoke with the exhuast hot as hell. The water lines were also full of crap but cleared them out only to realize that I had cracked my upper exhaust manifold and water was squirting out from the crack. It was later revealed that I had cracked both upper and lower exhaust manifolds, fried the head gasket and thermostat. Its amazing how much damage was done in such a short period of time and with it in limp mode. All in all, a shitty day but Jim did help me out tremendously with locating another set of manifolds and investigating the full extent of the damage and I came out pretty lucky. Oh, it did sound bad ass with the thru hull prior to me dredging the gulf. Good night.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Sorry Henry........we'll help ya get her back rite

+1
    dude, that sucks, i just drove thru that area today, trinity blvd beat 54 big time for getting to holiday from I-75

+1
    Thank God there was no engine damage! Give me a ring next time. I haven't been out in months.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    dude, that sucks, i just drove thru that area today, trinity blvd beat 54 big time for getting to holiday from I-75
    Yes trinity blvd shortcut is nice.

6. +1 by:

+1
    if your motor got that hot I would take it down for a full rebuild, IMO when these motor get that hot you have a good chance of losing a piston I just dont think the stock pistons can take much stress. I had a motor lose a piston and this motor never ran above 8400 had stock boost so the only thing I new that happened was the motor had a cooling issue it never got as hot as yours but several times the Vipec would limit the RPM until it cooled below 100C

it would be a lot cheaper to do it now than when a piston lets go you may never have a issue just not sure its worth the chance

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hdlefler View Post
    Its amazing how much damage was done in such a short period of time and with it in limp mode.
    Dang I hate to hear this. How long did you run it after the buzzer sounded?
    Gotta tell ya, same thing happened to us (on both skis at the same time) a few months ago. Water got really low over the summer. One ski inhaled weeds/muck, got buzzer and cut it off immediately. Hooked up tow strap to second ski and started pulling it to deeper water, then second ski inhaled weeds/muck. Shut second ski down immediately. Both skis now sitting in the middle of nowhere. Now what?
    Jumped off and swam/pulled them to shore, we removed both grates and got the weeds out. We finally got some rain but now it hasn't rained for months again and the water levels in our lakes here are going down again.
    Anyway, sorry to hear about it but I know Jim will help you get it sorted out.

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    Thanks for the lesson on the warning buzzer. Sorry to hear about your ski.

Yo, we have rehearsed the second ski in trouble scenario and have moved to a longer tow rope (100+'? How far can you heave it?) to help to keep the assisting ski out of whatever trouble. We make a floating monkey fist out of a racket ball and use 1/4" Amsteel Blue for a heaving/tow line. We also use some shock gear to reduce shock-load in seas (if in a lake, this isn't quite as much a factor but bear in mind that there is always some shock load and this stuff does not stretch. It's easy to have a shock load far exceeding the weight of the ski and rider, why I recommend 1/4"). If you don't know this line, check it out at your local yacht rigger. The nice thing is that it is light, floats, and is very strong. Don't get the intake near the floating line! We tow to a calm, safe spot at the first hint of trouble to save on major repairs.The towing end should have an eye splice. The towed end should be able to quickly get a double becket on the tow strap hanging from the bow eye. If you get very serious about it, the tow eyes are not reinforced enough or have a big enough backing plate on any factory ski and being able to see the heaving line at nite would be nice.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    LOL^^^^^^

Thread Information