Carb vs. injection question

Hi everyone. 1st time poster to this site. Been lurking for awhile though. Been a long time Polaris fan. Bought my 1st SL650 in '93 and am now on my 5th Polaris looking for a sixth. My last five including my current Virage have all been carborated. In the market for a used Genesis. Question: should I be scared of the Injected version now that Polaris is out of the PWC business? I have no issues with tearing into a carb or bolting in a long block but am intimidated by new fangled stuff..........yep, I am a old fat fart who likes to do most of my own repairs. Another question: if I were to get a Injected Genesis can I block off the O.I. like I did in my Virage so I can fill both PWC at the dock out of the same dock caddy gas can. (mine live in the water 6+mo. a year) Seems like I read somewhere thats not a good idea with a Injected version (might have been another brand though). Thanks in advance for your answers.

"Time spent boating is NOT deducted from one's lifespan"

+1
    If I were you I would get a carbed genesis and then you can have something that is reliable .Dont need to block off oil pump as they last many many hrs if you keep the filter clean and the oil pump actuator cable in good condition

Cheer

Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    If I were you I would get a carbed genesis and then you can have something that is reliable .Dont need to block off oil pump as they last many many hrs if you keep the filter clean and the oil pump actuator cable in good condition

Cheer

Bernie
    So I SHOULD be scared of the Injected models for more reasons than just "I am not familiar with them" ?

+1
    Bilge,

I wouldn't be afraid of the injected engines. The most common complaint with them is the TPS. It loses track of the actual throttle position and freaks out the control module. You'll experience non start, poor idle etc.

You can't go pre-mix on the injected engines as the mixed fuel/oil will not hit all the proper lubrication areas. The main one being the front crank area near the MAG cover. The injection system runs very lean (great fuel economy, though) and that section needs the extra lubrication offered by the injection system.
    Note there is an extra oil line exiting the oil pump, that's the one feeding the front case area.

I should double check but I'm pretty sure that's on all the Domestic injected engines.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 02-14-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks guys. So how about parts avalibility for the next 3+years on an injected Genesis? Or, god forbid someone left around that could still diagnose a problem on an old poor orphaned ski with that system?

thanks again,
    Bilgewiper

+1
    Parts availability is not an issue. The only thing that would even slightly bother me would be getting the injectors and control module calibrated (if Polaris choses not to support the repair anymore) BUT a boat shop that handles the FICHT fuel injection system should be able to handle that.
    As far as diagnosing and caring for the things you don't want to handle just give Brian a call at Ultimate, he's brilliant with this stuff and it's nothing new.
    For those times you want to just get some ideas or troubleshoot with needing the "wrench" system from Polaris you can post here and/or contact Jay at Atlantic Powersports. He's a master with these things and the trouble units find there way to his place. I doubt there's one he can't fix.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 02-14-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks ph20craft. That gives me a little more confidence in buying a injected model if the deal is right. There is 3 genesis in my area forsale that range from $3500-4800 but I just haven't had the time to go see them yet.

Ok, I gave up my search for a Genesis and "bit the big one" by buying a Kawasaki Ultra LX about 2 hours ago. Went to the Sacramento Boat show last night and checked out all the 3 seaters. Honda was making great deals on 2-3 year old left over ski's but I wanted the biggest boat for the price (I'm Fat....LOL!). Yamaha had NO deals on anything. I avoided Seadoo just because they were sold by the same dealer who sold Yamaha and they had no incentives or deals. At least the Kawasaki guys had both........and the salemen had actually riden them and could tell their own models apart without looking at the brochure/display. Wish I could have justified the added $$$ to get the Ultra 250 but I just couldn't make myself do it. (I must be getting old.....)

+1
    Still a nice ride, just less speed.
    I always wondered if there were no 250X this year if I'd buy the LX or the Yami HO. They are both pretty damned nice rigs!
    How long is the boat show running, I didn't here about it.

Thru Sunday at Cal-Expo

Thread Information