Chinderah, New South Wales, Australia, Australia

Unhappy Oh no! Not already!:(

Hey guys just took my new 05 ultra 150 for a quick ride and after about 10 mins the warning light came on and the oil level read as low.
    there is plenty of oil in the tank. How do I troublshoot it?
    im worried as I was in salt water and I want to flush it but scared of running it when I see a warning light. I can't see oil in bottom of hull or anything.
    What do I do?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jess

Update: I know a bit about electrics and I rebuilt the oil level sensor and it works now. I filled the oil up. All the oil seemed to disappear, is it normal to go through a litre of oil in 4 hours riding?

Hopefully I didn't totally run the oil out. It was only a short ride. Owning a jet ski is daunting, everything seems so fragile

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by justjmfh View Post
    Update: I know a bit about electrics and I rebuilt the oil level sensor and it works now. I filled the oil up. All the oil seemed to disappear, is it normal to go through a litre of oil in 4 hours riding?

Hopefully I didn't totally run the oil out. It was only a short ride. Owning a jet ski is daunting, everything seems so fragile
    Oil tank should hold 4.7 litres of oil, not a litre. That's about right, 1 litre per tank of gas , so you would top it up every 4 tank fills of gas. Does it smoke a lot?

its common for the sensor to stick, never trust it, make part of your preride procedure is checking and toping up the oil tank.

Have fun!

Okay mate I am definately not trusting that sensor. If the sensor reads as no oil will it tell the engine to take it easy?
    Would it be okay if I ran it in the water for 10 mins without oil, not sure when the light came on?
    It smokes a bit but I'm not too sure what is too much/enough. Good to know they go through a bit of oil

+1
    you can check where the oil is at by just looking under the seat and with my old ultra before it was written off it had zero oil in it and probably water in the engine and it still ran for one day till it was gone. But running with no oil for 10 minutes wont be a problem with the keeping the engine running but it cant be good.
    Last edited by ULTRA3N; 12-05-2012 at 06:41 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by justjmfh View Post
    Okay mate I am definately not trusting that sensor. If the sensor reads as no oil will it tell the engine to take it easy?
    Would it be okay if I ran it in the water for 10 mins without oil, not sure when the light came on?
    It smokes a bit but I'm not too sure what is too much/enough. Good to know they go through a bit of oil

No, it won't tell the engine to back off at all, (until it overheats, seizes and stops) the gauge and light are just for your entertainment. So, like i said, keep it topped up before each longs days riding and you will be fine.

+1
    The oil level gauge on the 150 is a joke. It has 3 readings, Full, Low, & Empty.

Don't even think of running it without oil!

Thread Information