Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FX HO

Question FX HO

Thanks
    Last edited by EnergyEngineer; 12-18-2012 at 01:27 PM.

+1
    I'd buy the one that is in good running condition without a doubt!
    Now if you have the time, buy the $800 one and part it out. Likely you can make $1000 on top of what you pay for but for personal use, I would buy the $3500 in a hearbeat.

How many hours on the $3500 one?

I believe the ski in good running condition has about 150 hours. Just for the sake of saving time the running ski makes the most sense. I was just curious to see what people on the forum had to say about this and if the rebuild would be cost effective. How many hours does the MR-1 engine go until a rebuild is necessary?

+1
    You should get 300 plus hours of use out of it. I have heard of rental units with this motor getting near 1000 hours out of them.

+1
    A well maintained engine goes for 1000+ hours but prior to that you end up doing mid bearing, pump bearing and engine mount job. So engine needs to be pulled out around 300-400 hours for that mid bearing and mount job.

+1
    How many hours on the blown up one? Do you know?
    I'd buy that for spare parts for the working one

CaptainReza, could you go into some detail about the engine mount job and the middle bearing repair. I've done pump rebuilds on GPR's. Also do you guys have any experience with the Riva rpm kit? It is supposed to add like 5-6 mph top speed.

+1
    mid shaft bearing has a life. Normally sub 500 hours. Engine mounts also deteriorate over time, rubber and metal separate so they will need to be replaced. For both these jobs, engine need to come out.

150-200 hours is a lot of time so depending on how many hours you ride, this may not happen in few years. I would call these maintenance as these are wear and tear items.

If you are comfortable and have the tools to pull the engine out of the hull, it's not a hard job. I have not had to do this on mine. They are still good but I haven't hit 300+ hours either.

Banned User
    +1
    For me personally if I had the choice between buying one running and one that needs a rebuild, I take the rebuild every time. That way I know exactly what I am getting when its all done. You could buy the running one and blow it up in a few hours, and then you are where you would have been with the rebuild. You are starting with a fresh motor with zero hours on it. This also gives you the chance to go through everything else, leaving you with what is mechanically a new ski. Even if you end up spending a little more on doing the rebuild, to me its worth it. The skis I am currently riding were bought not running. I was then able to start with zero hour motors in them.

+1

Considering Purchasing 2004 Yamaha FX HO In Need of Engine Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    For me personally if I had the choice between buying one running and one that needs a rebuild, I take the rebuild every time. That way I know exactly what I am getting when its all done. You could buy the running one and blow it up in a few hours, and then you are where you would have been with the rebuild. You are starting with a fresh motor with zero hours on it. This also gives you the chance to go through everything else, leaving you with what is mechanically a new ski. Even if you end up spending a little more on doing the rebuild, to me its worth it. The skis I am currently riding were bought not running. I was then able to start with zero hour motors in them.
    I agree... Having bought a used ski that blew up within an hour trust me you do t want to be there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information