Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    i hate my bipolar disorder its great
    +1

Pumpshoe alingment

Just wondering if this is a problem...
    engine is 100% bang on straight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	288376  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    And you know this how????

could be just the through hull fitting.

4. +1 by:

+1
    you wont be able to tell anything till you put an alignment tool on it....

+1
    This is likely a result of poor pump shoe alignment during assembly from the factory (not uncommon). If done correctly the shoe must be aligned with the through hull fitting first and formost by shimming the shoe as required. This is done with an alignment tool that can be purchased through SBT or other sources. If done correctly and the shoe is shimmed correctly the tool will slide through the hull fitting measuring the same amount of space all the way around the tool to the through hull fitting. Once the shoe is aligned you can then proceed to shim and align the motor to the tool. This will keep everything perfectly aligned. Others will chime in and disagree with this method due to concerns with the alignment of the hull in reference to the shoe/pump assembly. From the pic it looks like the hat and carbon seal are off centered to one another, again, not uncommon. Safe to run but will cause the carbon seal to wear quicker than one perfectly aligned. If your looking for every tenth of a mile per hour then buy the tools and plan on spending a good day to make it perfect, if not just ride and have fun. Double check the position of the accordion boot to ensure it hasn't slipped or moved somehow though. Also if for some reason the through hull was originally manufactured/installed slightly out of alignment or tilted/off angle a bit there will be little or nothing you can do to correct it (not likely the case).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    And you know this how????
    spent hours with an alinement tool and brought 2-3 of each type of seadoo shim.
    im running a pump extention so i wanted it pretty spot on to try and avoid breaking the shaft

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    This is likely a result of poor pump shoe alignment during assembly from the factory (not uncommon). If done correctly the shoe must be aligned with the through hull fitting first and formost by shimming the shoe as required. This is done with an alignment tool that can be purchased through SBT or other sources. If done correctly and the shoe is shimmed correctly the tool will slide through the hull fitting measuring the same amount of space all the way around the tool to the through hull fitting. Once the shoe is aligned you can then proceed to shim and align the motor to the tool. This will keep everything perfectly aligned. Others will chime in and disagree with this method due to concerns with the alignment of the hull in reference to the shoe/pump assembly. From the pic it looks like the hat and carbon seal are off centered to one another, again, not uncommon. Safe to run but will cause the carbon seal to wear quicker than one perfectly aligned. If your looking for every tenth of a mile per hour then buy the tools and plan on spending a good day to make it perfect, if not just ride and have fun. Double check the position of the accordion boot to ensure it hasn't slipped or moved somehow though. Also if for some reason the through hull was originally manufactured/installed slightly out of alignment or tilted/off angle a bit there will be little or nothing you can do to correct it (not likely the case).
    ah sounds good the seal is brand new, i wouldnt be too worried about replacing it every 12months or so, thanks for the input!

+1
    got to say I don`t agree with lining a pump shoe up with a through hull fitting..
    If the through hull fitting ( on hull ) is off center to start with then IMO your just going to make things worse by using that as a starting reference point.
    have a look at my architectural drawing below a bit excessive but you get the drift..
    the motor would be off perfect alignment to the hulls center point therefore the thrust would not be direct to the center ( let alone balanced correctly in the hull )and you would be adjusting the turning like a bad wheel alignment wearing wheels out and in a pwc loosing speed.
    correct me if I`m wrong but the shoe needs to be aligned with the direct center of the hull and chosen height of the motor for exit thrust.. then the boot can be adjusted to suit.. this is why IMO so many people have issues with carrier bearings as they need to be spot on to work correctly otherwise the bearing has force against one side creating a hot spot and therefore failing....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	288464  

+1
    Just wondering if this is a problem...
    I would leave it. Just keep an eye on the carbon ring. Next time your in there doing some major work consider pulling the shoe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaffabas View Post
    got to say I don`t agree with lining a pump shoe up with a through hull fitting..
    If the through hull fitting ( on hull ) is off center to start with then IMO your just going to make things worse by using that as a starting reference point.
    have a look at my architectural drawing below a bit excessive but you get the drift..
    the motor would be off perfect alignment to the hulls center point therefore the thrust would not be direct to the center ( let alone balanced correctly in the hull )and you would be adjusting the turning like a bad wheel alignment wearing wheels out and in a pwc loosing speed.
    correct me if I`m wrong but the shoe needs to be aligned with the direct center of the hull and chosen height of the motor for exit thrust.. then the boot can be adjusted to suit.. this is why IMO so many people have issues with carrier bearings as they need to be spot on to work correctly otherwise the bearing has force against one side creating a hot spot and therefore failing....
    Ha ha, did you use CAD to create that diagram? You should draw for the parts finder drawings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information