Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    i hate my bipolar disorder its great
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    432
    +1
    9

    Pumpshoe alingment

    Just wondering if this is a problem...
    engine is 100% bang on straight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	288376  


  2. #2
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    engine is 100% bang on straight
    And you know this how????

  3. #3
    could be just the through hull fitting.

  4. +1 by:


  5. #4
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    you wont be able to tell anything till you put an alignment tool on it....

  6. #5
    dnielsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,018
    +1
    94
    This is likely a result of poor pump shoe alignment during assembly from the factory (not uncommon). If done correctly the shoe must be aligned with the through hull fitting first and formost by shimming the shoe as required. This is done with an alignment tool that can be purchased through SBT or other sources. If done correctly and the shoe is shimmed correctly the tool will slide through the hull fitting measuring the same amount of space all the way around the tool to the through hull fitting. Once the shoe is aligned you can then proceed to shim and align the motor to the tool. This will keep everything perfectly aligned. Others will chime in and disagree with this method due to concerns with the alignment of the hull in reference to the shoe/pump assembly. From the pic it looks like the hat and carbon seal are off centered to one another, again, not uncommon. Safe to run but will cause the carbon seal to wear quicker than one perfectly aligned. If your looking for every tenth of a mile per hour then buy the tools and plan on spending a good day to make it perfect, if not just ride and have fun. Double check the position of the accordion boot to ensure it hasn't slipped or moved somehow though. Also if for some reason the through hull was originally manufactured/installed slightly out of alignment or tilted/off angle a bit there will be little or nothing you can do to correct it (not likely the case).

  7. #6
    i hate my bipolar disorder its great
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    432
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    engine is 100% bang on straight
    And you know this how????
    spent hours with an alinement tool and brought 2-3 of each type of seadoo shim.
    im running a pump extention so i wanted it pretty spot on to try and avoid breaking the shaft

  8. #7
    i hate my bipolar disorder its great
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    432
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    This is likely a result of poor pump shoe alignment during assembly from the factory (not uncommon). If done correctly the shoe must be aligned with the through hull fitting first and formost by shimming the shoe as required. This is done with an alignment tool that can be purchased through SBT or other sources. If done correctly and the shoe is shimmed correctly the tool will slide through the hull fitting measuring the same amount of space all the way around the tool to the through hull fitting. Once the shoe is aligned you can then proceed to shim and align the motor to the tool. This will keep everything perfectly aligned. Others will chime in and disagree with this method due to concerns with the alignment of the hull in reference to the shoe/pump assembly. From the pic it looks like the hat and carbon seal are off centered to one another, again, not uncommon. Safe to run but will cause the carbon seal to wear quicker than one perfectly aligned. If your looking for every tenth of a mile per hour then buy the tools and plan on spending a good day to make it perfect, if not just ride and have fun. Double check the position of the accordion boot to ensure it hasn't slipped or moved somehow though. Also if for some reason the through hull was originally manufactured/installed slightly out of alignment or tilted/off angle a bit there will be little or nothing you can do to correct it (not likely the case).
    ah sounds good the seal is brand new, i wouldnt be too worried about replacing it every 12months or so, thanks for the input!

  9. #8
    JPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Down under
    Posts
    934
    +1
    53
    got to say I don`t agree with lining a pump shoe up with a through hull fitting..
    If the through hull fitting ( on hull ) is off center to start with then IMO your just going to make things worse by using that as a starting reference point.
    have a look at my architectural drawing below a bit excessive but you get the drift..
    the motor would be off perfect alignment to the hulls center point therefore the thrust would not be direct to the center ( let alone balanced correctly in the hull )and you would be adjusting the turning like a bad wheel alignment wearing wheels out and in a pwc loosing speed.
    correct me if I`m wrong but the shoe needs to be aligned with the direct center of the hull and chosen height of the motor for exit thrust.. then the boot can be adjusted to suit.. this is why IMO so many people have issues with carrier bearings as they need to be spot on to work correctly otherwise the bearing has force against one side creating a hot spot and therefore failing....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	288464  

  10. #9
    Sayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne AUS
    Posts
    2,300
    +1
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    Just wondering if this is a problem...
    engine is 100% bang on straight
    I would leave it. Just keep an eye on the carbon ring. Next time your in there doing some major work consider pulling the shoe.

  11. #10
    Sayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne AUS
    Posts
    2,300
    +1
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by jaffabas View Post
    got to say I don`t agree with lining a pump shoe up with a through hull fitting..
    If the through hull fitting ( on hull ) is off center to start with then IMO your just going to make things worse by using that as a starting reference point.
    have a look at my architectural drawing below a bit excessive but you get the drift..
    the motor would be off perfect alignment to the hulls center point therefore the thrust would not be direct to the center ( let alone balanced correctly in the hull )and you would be adjusting the turning like a bad wheel alignment wearing wheels out and in a pwc loosing speed.
    correct me if I`m wrong but the shoe needs to be aligned with the direct center of the hull and chosen height of the motor for exit thrust.. then the boot can be adjusted to suit.. this is why IMO so many people have issues with carrier bearings as they need to be spot on to work correctly otherwise the bearing has force against one side creating a hot spot and therefore failing....
    Ha ha, did you use CAD to create that diagram? You should draw for the parts finder drawings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. NEED Hurricane Alingment tool
    By TimAtkinson in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 01:12 PM
  2. Holes in my GPR hole (pumpshoe)
    By myssjeep in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 06:18 PM
  3. 2001 xlt 1200 pumpshoe replacement
    By swade in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 05:01 PM
  4. do 2005 pumpshoe inserts fit 2000?
    By RDH in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 11:09 PM
  5. Pump Alingment Question
    By VegasRatt in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2006, 10:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •