Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What Sponsons for GP1300R

Hey guys,

Would like to start by saying hi and great forum you have here.

Im new to the ski world with buying my first ski ever as the gp1300r its 100% stock.

So far loving the ski but i have found it to be alil unstable at time and its nearly impossible to ride 2 ppl.

Any way i wanna have a look at doing some basic mods for now mostly improve handling and improve the ski for longer lasting.

So after reading over the forum i plan on doing the following

Pump Tunnel reinforcement -R&D Kit i think i have had alook over the DIY kit but not 100% sure

change grate intake to hopefully stainless steel 800

change ride plate (not sure what plate yet havnt got that far)

and also change the sponsons - which brings me here now.

im not too sure what sponsons to get and why

i ride mostly in small/med choppy water (Adelaide Metro Beaches) but also do plan taking on smooth river water.

speed it not a worry for me at this stage but handling is.

i am after something to make it more stable with 2 riders but something that will also give me shape turns and wave jumping

any input into sponsons would be much appreciated and if this topic is covered somewhere in the forum i am sorry i have tried searching but no luck but please point me in right direction

thanks tonz

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tonz18 View Post
    Pump Tunnel reinforcement -R&D Kit i think i have had alook over the DIY kit but not 100% sure
    Your going to want to update the brackets and get cocos pump reinforcement or add some fiber glass yourself.

change grate intake to hopefully stainless steel 800
    No, only if you are chasing top speed. That grate will give you a worse hole shot as well. Go with the 1200 grate it's better all around.

change ride plate (not sure what plate yet havnt got that far)
    Stock plate or shredmaster if you ride in the ocean or rough water. Riva/R&D if you want more speed and a modded plate if you are looking for even more. Riva/R&D will have you bouncing everywhere in the rough unless shimmed down and could be even worse riding two up depending on how it's set up.

and also change the sponsons - which brings me here now.
    Step the stock sponsons, this will help your bouncing. Stepped stock sponsons are also the fastest set up and free. Just need to cut out the center bolt holes so you can set the sponson on an angle. If you want better handling then look in to aftermarket ones.

i ride mostly in small/med choppy water (Adelaide Metro Beaches) but also do plan taking on smooth river water.
    You can't have both, set your ski up for where you ride the most. Unless you want to switch ride plates.

Also, make sure you seal your pump shoe and switch to premix. Look in to a D plate if you have not already and wave eaters if your ski is a 03-04. They are a must have.

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    Your going to want to update the brackets and get cocos pump reinforcement or add some fiber glass yourself.
    Am i right with the R&D reinforcement kit sold on greenhulk is in deed coco's kit? and the update brackets is those http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...571-00-00.html and they are used because you cant get the glue off the old ones?

No, only if you are chasing top speed. That grate will give you a worse hole shot as well. Go with the 1200 grate it's better all around.
    Will Get, Thanks for Tip

Stock plate or shredmaster if you ride in the ocean or rough water. Riva/R&D if you want more speed and a modded plate if you are looking for even more. Riva/R&D will have you bouncing everywhere in the rough unless shimmed down and could be even worse riding two up depending on how it's set up.
    Would it be worth looking into the shredmaster or just keep stock?

Step the stock sponsons, this will help your bouncing. Stepped stock sponsons are also the fastest set up and free. Just need to cut out the center bolt holes so you can set the sponson on an angle. If you want better handling then look in to aftermarket ones.
    What is step sponsons? is there a good guild around for it (i will do a search for it in a min)

also what aftermarket ones are the better ones for me?

You can't have both, set your ski up for where you ride the most. Unless you want to switch ride plates.

Also, make sure you seal your pump shoe and switch to premix. Look in to a D plate if you have not already and wave eaters if your ski is a 03-04. They are a must have.
    [/QUOTE]

I would say 70% of time in ocean so i will mod around that,

Also can you please share alil light into:
    seal your pump shoe?
    switch to premix, Why?
    D plate?
    wave eaters - 05 Model, Still Needed?

Thanks for your help

Been looking at the R&D GP 1300R SPONSON KIT are they good for ocean and better handling?

+1

Am i right with the R&D reinforcement kit sold on greenhulk is in deed coco's kit? and the update brackets is those http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...571-00-00.html and they are used because you cant get the glue off the old ones?
    The R&D kit and Coco's are different. Coco's is made by a forum member on here. Sorry you have the updated brackets already because your ski is an 05.

Would it be worth looking into the shredmaster or just keep stock?
    That is up to you, the stock plate can not be adjusted. Stepping your sponsons will make a difference as well as shimming the trim tabs. Start with that if you still need more get a shredmaster plate. That plate will scrub a lot of speed though.

What is step sponsons? is there a good guild around for it (i will do a search for it in a min)

also what aftermarket ones are the better ones for me?
    You just cut out the center bolt hole on each sponson so you can mount it on an angle. For example [Back]/[Front] Without cutting out the bar where the center bolt holes are you can't mount the stock sponson on an angle. Never used aftermarket ones.

Look at picture in this thread.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8829

seal your pump shoe?
    Look in to a pump plug kit, Here is a step by step guide.
    http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...Sealing%20.pdf

switch to premix, Why?
    GPR's have a big problem with oil lines falling off. If it happens you will not know it and you will be looking at a expensive rebuild.

D plate?
    Replaces the catalytic converter in the exhaust that ends up breaking up and clogging the water box/exhaust.

wave eaters - 05 Model, Still Needed?
    No, that is the first year of the non power valve motors.
    Last edited by Almost; 12-11-2012 at 09:35 AM.

The R&D kit and Coco's are different. Coco's is made by a forum member on here. Sorry you have the updated brackets already because your ski is an 05.
    Thank you gonna get the coco kit from greenhulk, Do i still need to order new brackets because its too hard getting the green glue off the old ones or i can reuse the old ones

That is up to you, the stock plate can not be adjusted. Stepping your sponsons will make a difference
    Thank you, gonna step sponsons later on today
    the front sud be higher than the back is that correct.

as well as shimming the trim tabs. Start with that if you still need more get a shredmaster plate. That plate will scrub a lot of speed though.
    is shimming the trim tabs just add 2x 2mm washers behind the tabs to each 8 holes?
    any guide on this?

Look in to a pump plug kit, Here is a step by step guide.
    http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...Sealing%20.pdf
    will do, gonna order seal kit with pump tunnel reinforcement, Thanks

GPR's have a big problem with oil lines falling off. If it happens you will not know it and you will be looking at a expensive rebuild.
    will do then, is it just a matter of just adding oil to petrol, do i need to block off old oil lines, whats the mixing ratio when using 98oct petrol.

Replaces the catalytic converter in the exhaust that ends up breaking up and clogging the water box/exhaust.
    found a guide on it looks alil harder than other mods so will have a look at it again in winter hopfully i will have a better understanding at all this.

Thanks

+1
    Go with D plate and no chip really necessary most of the time

Aftermarket flame arrester will give better throttle response

Jetworks mod will also give better throttle response

Oil lines dont really fall off EFIs, but you can block off pump and premix 40:1

Go with Coco tunnel kit, 1200R grate, and seal pump shoe. Brackets are fine

Stock plate is great for rough and can be adjusted, but would recommend Jims FF mod, and get rid of plastic trim tabs and go with metal oem or aftermarket

Dynafly impeller is best with HO pump 14/20 should be fine

R&D sponsons are best for handling and dont scrub much speed with handling adjusted properly

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Stock plate is great for rough and can be adjusted
    Interesting, anyone actually run a stock ride plate with shims? Every time I tried to find this answer it's always a shimmed Riva/R&D vs stock plate debate.

+1
    Stock plate is great for rough and can be adjusted
    Interesting, anyone actually run a stock ride plate with shims? Every time I tried to find this answer it's always a shimmed Riva/R&D vs stock plate debate.
    you can add some shims to the front to give more angle

Thanks guys,

Im gonna order part hopfully this week.

gonna get tunnel reinforcement, pump seal, 1200grate for now and step stock sponsons and either shim stock pads or look at aftermarket

Stock plate is great for rough and can be adjusted, but would recommend Jims FF mod, and get rid of plastic trim tabs and go with metal oem or aftermarket
    Do you still need to shimmed the trim tabs if its aftermarket, Also can you still shim the stock tabs for now to save alil cash. also how do i shim the tabs?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information