Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broken riva intake grate

Been reading up about riva intake grate breaking and when it happens to you it hurts.
    was doing 77mph plus when the ski started doing fishtails the got thrown off landing on my back, it hurts like hell..the ride plate is broken and the pump shoe is ripped.

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    Glad your not too badly hurt.

You know, I read about these grates braking, but I ran a Riva grate in my 05 RXP for 5 years and to my knowledge its still in there. I just can't see how they can brake without some outside help along the way. Did you check it regularly, do you beach your ski often? Has it had an impact at any point? One thing for sure, your shoe is toast. Thats a bummer. Not a nice job to replace if your doing it yourself

Sorry to hear about your failure. Good luck with the fix, but I wouldn't be worried about putting another Riva grate in with the new shoe. Just fit it up right.

Mark

+1
    Ouch. Glad your ok though. I'm definatly taking the one I have in out now.. Bet u Sh!t yourself at the time !!

+1
    I wouldn't overreact. There is usually a reason something like that brakes. And it's not necessarily as simple as a product failure. As I said, I ran mine for 5 years at over 85mph in 2 hour long enduro's, big sea's, summer recreation, checked it regularly and it never caused reason for concern. Check yours, if it ok. Great! Leave it alone. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by jaffabas View Post
    Ouch. Glad your ok though. I'm definatly taking the one I have in out now.. Bet u Sh!t yourself at the time !!

+1
    I am certain Riva are not the only manufacturer to have their Intakes grates break........ I run a R&D Single bar grate on my conversion. Everybody tells me I'm going to kill myself one day running that grate, but I check it each time I go out and come back in and 20+ hours at over 90 and its going strong, buy then what do I know?

+1
    That's why I switched to the R&D.

No girdle?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP244 View Post
    I am certain Riva are not the only manufacturer to have their Intakes grates break........ I run a R&D Single bar grate on my conversion. Everybody tells me I'm going to kill myself one day running that grate, but I check it each time I go out and come back in and 20+ hours at over 90 and its going strong, buy then what do I know?
    Fitment would be 95% off failure would be my guess. My Riva grate needed a lot of work to fit up to the Riva plate.

+1
    [QUOTE=Sayers;2077919
    Fitment would be 95% off failure would be my guess. My Riva grate needed a lot of work to fit up to the Riva plate.[/QUOTE]

Too True. I even machined the surface of the grate to sit flush with the bottom surface of the Riva plate. The rear centre hole also needed a thin washer under it because it didn't sit flush on the plate. Some have needed washers under the front bolt also so they didn't pull the grate out of shape. The fitting up is the key, they just need a little extra time put in to make them "just right"

+1
    I had my Riva ride plate center tab break ...

Lucky i had a girdle ..

I bet our plate tab broke then the shoe gave away then snapped the scoop grate ...

+1
    Overreact the riva grates are junk they break all the time if you want I can build you a statue with broken grates. Get a rd grade you will lose a hair of speed but gain safety.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information