Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2010 RXT iS Issues...possibly big ones?

Hello all, I am asking for the help of everyone with experience on the 2010 RXT iS ski regarding any issues that are particularly severe and cost big bucks to repair. I just need to compile a list of the issues that seem to be happening to alot of, or almost everybody. My reason for asking this is because a friend of mine has one and they had their engine icon light up on the display. When they took the ski in they were told something along the lines of the engine mounts either broke or shifted and did additional damage to the driveshaft? If that sounds familiar to anyone? I can not say 100% what all he mentioned due to lack of memory, but I will update this when I hear the rest of the details. Essentially, this issue ended up costing him 1800 bucks to repair, the ski has only 29 hours on it, it is never ridden hard and was only about a couple of weeks out of warranty if I remember correctly. Naturally, BRP declined covering it and are not admitting to any inherent design flaws or defects that could cause this, or something of this nature to arise. He has read about this happening a few times but needs a little more info to go on as he wants to present this to BRP showing that it is not an isolated incident. If anyone has any knowledge of any substantial design flaws whether or not they directly relate to this concern, could you please offer it up here so he can also know what else to expect from this ski. For example, does this ski still have the issue with the ceramic supercharger washers? Has anyone had substantial issues with the drive shaft carbon seal ring? Has anyone had the reported footwell related sinking ski? Anything at all that is going to become major or minor, but repetitive expenses that we all know should be considered recall dependent issues, please post them up here. If there is one thing I dislike heavily, it is a manufacturer that screws up a design and expects the customer to pay for the engineering mistakes. Thank you very much for your help guys, we really appreciate it. Any updated info regarding exactly what had to be repaired will be posted as soon as I get it. Thanks again.

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I have the same ski. The drive shafts in the 2010 models are crap!!! I burned through one and I'm not the only one. BRP refused to warranty mine even though I was still under warranty. I had to pay for a new 2012 driveshaft, which is a much better unit. Then it appeared I had pump alignment issues, but I didn't. It appears that the driveshaft is way too short and doesn't go all the way into the prop, which caused prop wobble in the pump. But there are many others with the same year ski that had alignment issues. We just changed props to a different kind and we'll see. I'm told there is a problem with engine deflection, (flexing and moving around from water chop etc..) which usually leads to stress cracks in pump tunnel, which mine has as well. There are no ceramic washers in these superchargers. I have not had any carbon seal issues and the ski stays pretty dry inside overall. Sorry for your friend's problems, but it's my understanding that BRP was made aware of these issues by their test riders and ignored them and even fired one for being steadfast about these issues. (Once again, I was told these things by someone I trust, but I wasn't there) If that is the case, it is very disappointing that this happens. I have too much invested in my ski to punt it right now, but this will most likely be the only Sea Doo I ever buy.

+1
    I have a 2010 GTX IS that has a check engine light. The ski is still under warranty as it was purchased new this spring. The ski was dropped of at the dealership with a check engine light and no other functions on the gauge working. The only button on the handle bars that worked was the start and stop button. The ski has now been in the shop for 45 days and the dealer is still searching for the answers on what is wrong. The ski is at one of the premier dealers in the country and they have thrown allot of parts at it with no improvement. The only way to move the suspension is through buds or candoo pro. Hopefully they get it fixed soon. If you look at the codes in my ski it has over 10 faults.

Wow V6, I hope the best for you dude. And thank you Unsane, what you mention about the engine deflection sounds very familiar to me in terms of what my buddy might have mentioned. I totally understand your position, when you like something and keep tossing cash into it thinking this is it, no more should be needed, it tends to add up quickly when it keeps snowballing. I have read quite a few postings on other sites through a google search saying that the rear engine mounts might have broken allowing up and down travel of the engine breaking the carbon seal. Another interesting posting I read was regarding the front bolt(s) in the intake grate. From what they said in the posting, the bolts are not well nuts sealed into fiberglass, or SMC if that is the hull material they use, they are just direct through-hull threaded inserts leading right into the engine compartment just below the carbon seal. It appears that the bolts can and have vibrated out, and when driving the ski, the faster you go the harder the waterspout stream into the engine compartment.

+1
    I have a 2010 RXTX and the drive shaft was changed under warranty ... No questions asked ..

Must come down to the dealer as my dash and hood was also changed under warranty ...

That is very interesting because you are the third person to have mentioned a bad driveshaft so far. I have this same thread content posted on pwctoday and so far, it has been driveshaft related. The shop this fella deals with is a good dealer and very reputable. They tried to pursue warranty for this ski because not only has he been buying there for a while now, but they also know he is not hard on his skis. He has them into this dealership at a moment's notice if there is anything obvious or questionable about their running condition or performance. Thanks very much for your response Slasher, it is very appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SLASHER View Post
    I have a 2010 RXTX and the drive shaft was changed under warranty ... No questions asked ..

Must come down to the dealer as my dash and hood was also changed under warranty ...

+1
    Ok, here is the problem....It isnt a design flaw of the drive shaft. There is/was a tech bulletin issued that says we(dealerships) should replace the bolts that hols the pump onto the ride plate with a better grade bolt and better scotch lock material on said bolts. There is a recall for it. Now, when the pump bolts become loose or completely fall out the pump moves around and allows the drive shaft to strip as well as the impeller (prop sde) to strip.

I have covered 4 of these under warranty this year!!!!!!

Now, having said the above info and Pro-Pulsions post about it being at a premier dealership in the country---They may be a good dealership or have good people there, but what kind of a relationship do they have with BRP....I VERY RARELY have an issue getting items covered by warranty with BRP....

All of the above is just my daily expierence

+1
    BRP been great for me ... Running Seadoos for almost 20 years ...

Thanks Tiny, the part about the dealer/manufacturer relationship I honestly do not know. This is a very good point and I appreciate that aspect. If the scenario is not a favorable one for the dealer, it could very well be like you say. Unfortunately it does not help BRP's reputation to choose to deny the innocent by-stander from receiving proper customer care over internal issues between the manufacturer and dealer. It actually is counterproductive and creates a driving force away from their product. In a manner of speaking, I can say I have been hit with that same driving force regarding the brand of truck I drive. They have had common, very costly issues that should have been recalls but instead expect the owners to clean up their mess out of pocket...for the entire 6 years they produced that style of truck. How they justify carrying on with production of known flawed designs after the first year with an 85% fault ratio, and never once think that improvements needed to be made immediately will never cease to amaze me. I will leave it at that with the vehicle because it is like opening the flood gates when you get me going on it lol, but at the end of the day, my decision is that I will never go with this brand again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Ok, here is the problem....It isnt a design flaw of the drive shaft. There is/was a tech bulletin issued that says we(dealerships) should replace the bolts that hols the pump onto the ride plate with a better grade bolt and better scotch lock material on said bolts. There is a recall for it. Now, when the pump bolts become loose or completely fall out the pump moves around and allows the drive shaft to strip as well as the impeller (prop sde) to strip.

I have covered 4 of these under warranty this year!!!!!!

Now, having said the above info and Pro-Pulsions post about it being at a premier dealership in the country---They may be a good dealership or have good people there, but what kind of a relationship do they have with BRP....I VERY RARELY have an issue getting items covered by warranty with BRP....

All of the above is just my daily expierence

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    My buddy has a RXT_X and he had problems with the Brakes.......dealer went through and changed drive shaft, solonoid, ECU......still did not fix problems.......finally they found the main wiring harness had chafed and was shorting out throwing engine lite and IBR lite

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information