Thread: gelcoat repair

gelcoat repair

i am doing the bottom of my boat. the little kits are too small. are the quart size of gelcoat from spektrum or gelcoat int are as thick as the small repair kits? I need something larger then the 2oz repair kits. (2007 rxp black bottom).

+1
    Are you doing the entire bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Are you doing the entire bottom?
    almost

+1
    You're probably going to use an entire quart. You need to get Neutral and put black coloring in it. And you have to reduce it with acetone. The instructions are on the can. If you're using a regular spray gun, it's going to come out very slow and you have to put a very thick coating on it. Don't worry because it is very difficult to make it run. Then comes the hard part, 5,000 hours of sanding, more sanding, wet sanding, compounding, polishing to get rid of the orange peal. I just did the bottom of my gp but may just leave it lumpy cause I hate sanding. Hope this info helps. I'm no pro at it but that has been my experience

Just buy the full quart of black from Gelcote Itnl, is will be the right color and have the wax additive in it premixed. It is better to thin it with styrene instead of acetone, as styrene is what they use with the base gel to start with. You also will be better off with a gun that is designed for gel, as the orange peel effect will be less.

Also, there should be very little sanding if you do it right. If you have any scratches to start with, you need to fill them first before spraying. Buy some cabosil along with the quart of gel, and mix up a paste and squeegee it into the gouges first. Do it in layers, and don't get any on the surface, just apply it into the gouges until they are level with the surrounding area. Once you have all the gouges filled, spray one or 2 coats of gel over it, then sand.

+1
    Guess i did it all wrong ha ha

Thread Information