Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crankshaft Poll?

Has anyone taken a crank poll to see which is the best bang for the buck (OEM, Hot Rods, Crankworks, SBT, or reman-ning/fixing your oem.) ??

Banned User
    +1
    Oem hands down would never use sbt anything! Horrors on the hot rod crank as well. Buy once oem if need new. Crank works for any mods or repairs needed

Banned User
    +1
    I think if you find a reputable crank builder, rebuilding OEM is a great way to go. Make sure they use good quality parts in the rebuild.

+1
    Depends. For a build with no budget, OEM. For a build with limited funds, maybe a Crankworks rebuilt one depending on repair costs. For a low budget rebuild, get an SBT. Also depends on how you ride. If for a build go fast ski, an OEM trued and welded or for recreational riding of say your wife and kids, would go Crankworks rebuilt or SBT. Had only one experience on an SBT crank, and is still running in the ski.

+1
    There's been horror stories on everything. I've been building 2 strokes since the mid 80's when the only option was we had to build all our cranks ourselves. I still true and weld some of my own cranks but there are places that specialize and do it better. I have used many sbt cranks in stock builds and have had maybe a 1% failure rate on them- mostly on the seadoo 587-657-717 motors- sub par crank bearings. I usually rebuild my cranks when I have time- which gets fewer and fewer each year with the time involved and the price of parts. Price and use determin usage. Stock rebuild for a rec ski I've had good luck with the sbt cranks and can't rebuild a oem for a customer for the price of one. Step up would be a rebuilt oem. Step up again to a hot rods or new oem. Not sure what all the fuss is with hot rods cranks. I've used them since the early 90s when I built a lot of big cc banshees and still use them today. Never had any issue with them. The rods are better than the oem rods IMO all my 66v race motors use hot rods cranks. Stock stroke and stroked- different length rods on the big strokes and never had one go down. For a high hp motor I do send all new hot rods cranks to crank works and have them tried and welded. I've got 4 of my personal skis sitting here now- 3 with hotties and 1 951 in my wifes ski with a sbt and we ride constantly. It's like the "which is the best oil" threads. Lots of input and opinions and you and to go with what works for you. I would never install any crank without checking it for trueness and doing a leakdown test. A lot of issues with cranks come from underlying problems not addressed in the motor. My 2 cents

+1
    Crankshaft for what? it does make a difference.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porschemaniac View Post
    Not sure what all the fuss is with hot rods cranks.
    Members have had back luck with them?

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109498

...hey Bill. It's for my 06 1300. My controller's ground wire came off and I seized the third cylinder crank bearing. Def. sucks.

Banned User
    +1
    Oem

+1
    New or Reman OEM, is all I will use. I have only used Crankworks for Reman, but there are other shops out there that do good work as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information