Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PPG airbox mod?

PPG airbox mod?

I took my open cold air intake off and installed the stock one back on since its going to the dealer to get looked at for the hull flooding. Im going to leave the stock air intake box on now for saftey reasons. Im interested on how ppg mod the fan in the box and where. Anyone have any pics of the mod inside the box? I think it will be really easy to do yourself if you have something to go by. I will want to wire the fan to run by itself when the ski gets turned on and have a bypass shut off switch also inside the ski.

+1
    I've never seen one personally, but i know it works by pulling in cold outside air from the front seat vent and injecting it into the air box giving the engine a nice cool shot of fresh cold air. Its a great concept and works very well from what i hear.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i think the unit pricey... when comparred to the riva kit... i think PPG kits is more effective for a mostly stock unit... HIGHLY modified skis are probably better with the power filter.

i wanted to build my own also bc of the price issue and my wallet....

BUT i knwo this.... there's a reason the fan isn't wired automiatically into the ski to start when the DESS key is posted... one thing shorts or frys up and say goodbye to your MPEM possibly.... or run the power of your guages, well say goobye to you whole gauge cluster...

it's more professional to turn on automatically, and much better convenience... BUT a huge risk to have it run off another power supply... that's why the run it off the battery and have a manual switch.

Im just worry that you might forget to turn off the fan switch when your done riding and their goes your battery.

+1
    u won't forget, trust me.... when that switch gets flipped on with the ski off... u hear that little fan turning hard!! no way you won't be able to hear that the fan is turning when you leave your ski.

Don't buy it if you think is less likely to ingest water, because that was just sour grapes when Riva came out with thiers.
    There is no proof that it is less likely to ingest water. If anything you run a bit more of a risk injesting water because it sits lower in the hull and has a "fan" to push even the littlest water right into the intake.

The down fall that I see with the powerfilter is that as you ride the hotter the air gets inside the engine compartment (like 150 degrees hot) and the powerfilter is sitting right against the engine just sucking all the hot air in.

The PPG set-up is sucking in fresh air from the outside (via a stock air duct) and piping it into the stock air-box. Heat is the biggest enemy for these engines.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mgo7483
    The down fall that I see with the powerfilter is that as you ride the hotter the air gets inside the engine compartment (like 150 degrees hot) and the powerfilter is sitting right against the engine just sucking all the hot air in.

The PPG set-up is sucking in fresh air from the outside (via a stock air duct) and piping it into the stock air-box. Heat is the biggest enemy for these engines.
    exactly... PPG setup is more effective, especially after the engine gets hottttt and it's hot outside... and the PPG kit won't ingest water... bc it utilizes the stock air box setup which has water traps built into it...

i think the water ingestion shouldn't be an issue on eitehr setup at all.... the issue is cold air!! ideally, ya need to supply cold air to the riva kit... that's where they went wrong, but i think you can cheaply fabricate ur own means to accomplish a "make-shift" cold ait intake thru the riva powerfilter.

unit AS SOLD.... PPG has a better unit bc of this cold air issue.... however if you can supply the riva kit with direct cold air similar to PPGs kit, it'd be interested to see a side by side race of stock machines with jstu PPG level 1 vs Riva stage I

Yea, whatever you want to believe.
    Your biased, Im biased, leave it at that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information