+1

Question 2012 GTI battery question

I finally had time to hook up a Battery Tender to my new GTI. I was only able to put 30 minutes on it in Nov. after I bought it. It's been winterized but I needed to ensure that the battery stays charged over the winter. I removed both the positive and negative leads from the ski and replaced with the ring terminal leads from the charger. That way the batter is isolated and I don't chance frying the ECU. In removing the leads to the ski the plastic mount for the fuse box fell off. It appears there are supposed to be 2 screws to hold it in place located on the two back corners of the battery hold down. There are holes on the hold down and corresponding holes on the plastic mount that the fuse box clips to. Can someone verify this for me? Looks like I may be calling my dealer for these missing screws. The port side battery hold down bolt is not all the way tight either.

+1
    Technically yes, there are 2 screws that BRP says to use on the 2012's....The battery box has been the same since 2009 when they introduced the GTX IS LTD.

Having said that, if the dealer is worth a flip and knows anything about working on skis and can install the fuse box the correct way......There is no reason too use the screws, and I will be honest with you.....I dont use them. If the fuse box is attached to the battery box correctly, the fuse box WONT come off.....It sounds like it is breaking when you remove it

There is absolutely no good reason ever to use a battery tender. Most of them actually shorten battery life. If you are disconnecting the battery, you don't need to disconnect both cables, just one. Just top off the battery every couple months with a regular charger and that is it. Or buy a good AGM and not worry about topping it off at all.

+1
    I am only turning the tender on for a day every month just to keep it topped off. I know I only have to remove one cable but could not remember if it was the positive or negative that was recommended so I did both.

+1
    Called dealer today and they said the same thing about the screws. They told me to bring it back so they could snap it on correctly. Problem is they are an hour away. I think I can figure it out once I take a proper size socket back to my storage unit and I can fully remove the battery and examine the casing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kunzman View Post
    Called dealer today and they said the same thing about the screws. They told me to bring it back so they could snap it on correctly. Problem is they are an hour away. I think I can figure it out once I take a proper size socket back to my storage unit and I can fully remove the battery and examine the casing.

Its a 13mm socket....Dont remove the battery case, just lean it towards to bow..You will see the little ridges at the bottom of the case.Clip the edges of the fuse box in and lean it towards the battery...It will snap onto the battery case....

Quote Originally Posted by kunzman View Post
    I am only turning the tender on for a day every month just to keep it topped off. I know I only have to remove one cable but could not remember if it was the positive or negative that was recommended so I did both.
    Good plan. Just don't leave it on continuously.

Thread Information