Stinger Pipe/Turbo Tube

i am planin to install a stinger pipe/ turbo tube onto my xl1200...what do u guys think about it? 1300 head convertion with 13/19prop/ riva ridepplate,r&d intake grade,

+1
    It's pretty accepted that you will lose about 1 mph with a Stinger, though I think you can get a bit back with some tinkering; I don't think it's slowed me up much. You won't gain any speed, that is for sure, just more low and midrange punch; but to be honest, some quality reeds will do more for you. The best thing the Stinger has going for it is the ablility to reach down and tweak your high speed screws without removing the pipe.

+1
    I no longer own a Turbo Tube,but i loved it.If you plan on pulling tubes or 2-3 riders,it will work great.Have you rejetted yet?

yeh i have rejetted

+1
    If you are looking for a Stinger3, I think I know someone who would sell one in good shape.

+1

Smile

I think the tube/stinger is a great addition to the XL, I'm putting one on mine here shortly. It's important early on to seal up the pump for traction and add the intake grate for added safety. I'd wait on the impeller till you see where your top end rpm is. I don't think I'd put a ride plate very high on the list because unlike the GPR the XL/XLT stays hooked up much better and I haven't seen much if any additional top end speed.

I also don't think I'd recommend going to a high compression head with a stinger/tube without some serious thought. Unlike a 4 stroke engine that usually responds well to higher compression, a 2 stroke uses an exhaust tuning effect to help fill the cylinder (sorta like turbo charging). Because of this tuning effect it's possible with some set ups to actually produce more power with the lower standard compression. The other more important concern is too much compression pressure causing detonation. The stinger/tube is producing more power in the mid/low range by increasing cylinder filling in those ranges, and it's in the lower rpm's where detonation is most likely. Now add to that a high compression head in a heavier boat on a hot day and your boat may require 120+ octane just to stay in one piece. Additionally a taller prop or more riders would make things worse by loading the engine more at a lower rpm. And lastly, flame arrestors would be a bad idea with this set up.

My 2 cents

+1
    I also picked up a turbo tube for my GPR and want to compare it to the cat and D-plate to see if I can find any room for improvement. What I plan to do is get some back pressure measurments before and after each item an see how they compare. Theory is that if the front chamber is acting like some sort of tuned pipe then the reduced restriction provided by the turbo tube is improving the bottom end at some cost to top end speed. Next step would be to see if some way could be devised to variably adjust the back pressure to maximize both the top and bottom. I'm thinking water injection or an adjustable metal plate may work.

hey yamadoo 2 wen u have tried it can u give me a shot and tell me how it ran

Thread Information