Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gp760 re-jetting question/advice...

ive got a 97 gp 760 with 175 hours on it...decided to rebuild carbs and put on riva cones...in going with the cone f/a i am looking at jetting up to 135 mains and 120 pilots and staying with 1.5 needle and seat...i have a steady pop off of 43 after numerous times with pop off gauge.......will this jump up in jetting work or am i going to get in trouble...thought i would pass it by you guys before i put it in the water in the morning and try to get it tuned....any advice,help would be great.....sure dont wanna mess this up

+1
    Any other mods to justify rejetting? pipe, porting, etc?

no other mods....only riva cones....

+1
    Leave jetting stock, and open up the adjusters to compensate for the F/A's.

thanks bill....thats what i will do....i spent a few hours on water yesterday trying to get it tuned with the larger jets and got absolutely nowhere...never got any color that was even close to being good...in fear of messing it up i loaded up and went home...got a few days to kill...about to take it all apart again and put back in the factory jets and try again tommorrow.....bill....my pop off on the original spring showed 32 and the pop off on the new spring showed 43....which one should i go with?????

+1
    I would go back with the originals. And start with your screws 1 turn out farther from stock and adjust from there.

got original jets back in today,full tank of gas,full of oil,extra plugs,wetsuit and a few tools.....off to the water hole in the morning to see what happens....thanks everybody for all the help...will let yall know

well...got out to the water this morning to try tuning and had a problem from the start...on my first run down the river the ass end of the ski felt kinda heavy and then my auto bilge kicked on and started pumping water out...i made it back without losing it and once i got it back on the trailer i found the problem...the pickup hose got nicked by the pto and just barely made a hole enough to fill the hull with water...luckily i had a piece of hose in toolbox and spent the next hour or so replacing it....then put back in the water to try to tune...i got lots of different advice as far as the pop off for this gp 760....i was told 55,43 and32....i chose the middle of the road and went with the 43...put in new plugs and spent the next 4 hours and 20 miles adjusting screws...these are what the plugs came out looking like...what do you guys think? am i o.k.? or do i need to keep messing with it? ive put alot of thought and work into my lil fishing buddy and dont want to lose it to a seize...as it is right now,the low end is instant,the midrange is good,but at wide open it seems to skip a beat here and there and i noticed that my high rpm isnt as high as it used to be...it was 6300ish and now 6000...are the little rubber o rings on the end of the lo and high adjustment screws necesary ...its really dificult to tell when they are lightly seated as they kinda give a little play...didnt learn too much about tuning today but did remember how valuable a auto bilge is...this makes the second time its saved me from a real mess...also a few pics of my lil fishing buddy...i enjoy fishing all the little islands,the flats and if water is good will venture out a few miles...

+1
    Dang look at that thing!! Those horns made be LOL.

If the high end is the only thing not working out too well, then concentrate on adjusting the high speed screws.

yeah....the horns...let me tell ya about that...ive spent most of my life living on the beach then when the real estate was doing good in 2004 i made the mistake of selling my piece of paradise and moving to a RURAL ONE HORSE TOWN FULL OF NECKS....most of these folks dont even know what a waverunner is.........................so i figured if ya cant beat em....join em....good for a laugh and makes me a salt water cowboy...lol....how bout the plug color???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information