Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2005 RXT Possible XMAS Purchase - Need Feedback by 12/20/12 Please

I am seeking this advice for a friend of mine who is looking to purchase a 2005 RXT for his family and kids. I used to be in the standup scene for a long time and I used to build my own performance two stroke motors, so I have knowledge of that side of things. However, with this Seadoo being 4 stroke, it's a different beast of potential issues from what my research indicates and I'm not that familiar and thus why I've come to the experts.

I will tell you what I know, and I'm looking for either a yes/no on the purchase. I have the opportunity to speak directly to the mechanic who did the previous repairs, so I could ask questions if that would sway your decision either way.

What I know -

1. 2005 Seadoo RXT
    2. Approx 142 hours
    3. Previous owner had it in for repairs, after repairs were complete, he decided to trade it in to the dealership and he purchased a new non-supercharged ride.
    4. Sale comes with a trailer and a cover
    5. Asking price $4800
    6. My buddy sent me a copy of the repair work from the dealership and he spoke directly to the mechanic who did the work. My buddy indicated that the mechanic seemed honest and a relatively straight shooter. Although my buddy isn't super knowledgable of these machines, I instructed him to ask if the ceramic bearings in the supercharger were replaced prior to ever knowing about a rebuild on this motor. When my buddy asked, the mechanic at that point knew that he at least had some knowledge and then began to talk more details vs. just broad terms.
    7. The bearings in the supercharger went and the motor required a rebuild. On the work order from what I can read they replaced the intake valve, exhaust valve, piston, and connecting rod with USED parts. The mechanic said the previous owner wanted to save some coin and they went the used option vs. new. The copy of the work order from the picture my buddy snapped didn't capture the QTY line, so I don't know if those pieces replaced were for one or more cylinders. The work order also shows a supercharger rebuild kit @ $396.00, fuel filter, new plugs, coolant, gasket kit, and new connecting rod bolts. The final lines say (hard to read) - Rebuilt engine, replaced bad battery, checked cables, hoses, pump assembly, stabil fuel tank, ran engine on hose. OK.
    8. Mechanic is confident in his work. Dealer offered a 30 day, 50% parts/labor if something were to go wrong.
    9. Compression was 130 in all cylinders.

Here's my take -

1. My research indicates issues with the ceramic supercharger bearings and issues with the valves being of poor metalurgy?
    2. I have no idea what the supercharger rebuild kit uses for bearings? Are they the same ceramic bearings or are they the metal ones? I guess this could be a follow up.
    3. I was trying to think of a way to sweeten the deal for my buddy and we agreed that maybe we could ask for 30 hours instead of a 30 day warranty. With his schedule, I would estimate he would put on somewhere in the 5 hour max in the first 30 days (weekend only).

Please let me know your thoughts. Again, my buddy is just looking for something that his 9 and 11 year old kids can enjoy with him tubing/skiing, etc.

Thanks again.

Doug

+1
    Not just no, but hell no

Please elaborate.

Thanks.

Doug

Well first it wasn't ceramic bearings it was ceramic clutch washers. If they used the most up to date rebuild kit then the washers should be fine. But if the charger went and the oil pump was not replaced I would be very very skeptical. I wouldn't buy that ski based on the work done but that's just me

+1
    I think 4800 is way to high.

Quote Originally Posted by ndarimont View Post
    Well first it wasn't ceramic bearings it was ceramic clutch washers. If they used the most up to date rebuild kit then the washers should be fine. But if the charger went and the oil pump was not replaced I would be very very skeptical. I wouldn't buy that ski based on the work done but that's just me
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't know about the oil pump. I can't see that on the repair sheet. I could ask about that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post
    I think 4800 is way to high.
    What would be a fair price considering what you know?

Doug

+1
    Run forest run. Loosing ceramic SC washers does not break valves and bend rods. If the washers went and the valves failed it is a must to inspect both oil pumps and mic/replace all main and rod bearings at the minimum.

+1
    like ndarimont already explained and the fact the motor was rebuilt with used parts of unknown condition....and yes too expensive. Seen one go on Fleabay for less than that with half the hours. I would try find an 08.

Ok guys I appreciate the advice. I'll steer him clear of the machine.

Personally for his purpose, I think he's better off saving coin and going with something like a GP800 or GPR1200. Simple engines, cheap skis, easy to find parts, etc.

Doug

+1
    without any issues a stock 05 RXT for 4800 is too much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information