Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Ficht

+1

Operation Ficht

Well, I definitely didn't need another ski but who can pass up a really nice and clean 2004 Virage I for $400? Compression checked out good and even between both cylinders and the owner's diagnosis is that it needs an EMM. I have yet to do any real testing so I'm not sure yet but I need to run through some diagnostics to see what I can figure out. The display looks good and clear and reads 72 hours. Everything looks original so I suspect that's probably all it has on it. It also came with a cover that's in decent shape but does have a couple holes.

Here's a pic for you guys. If we don't get any snow I'll see what I can do to get it running otherwise it'll probably wait till spring.

+1
    Nice score

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Swinging by with it Friday?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    EMM is often in need of repair, but do the basic checks, of course.

You can delete the unreliable water injection solenoid that connects under the exhaust pipe. Details via my signature links. One of the few delete mods that gets my vote.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    Swinging by with it Friday?
    Not sure yet. I may not be heading home till Sat but I haven't decided yet. The jetski is getting the full tour of Corning this week.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    EMM is often in need of repair, but do the basic checks, of course.

You can delete the unreliable water injection solenoid that connects under the exhaust pipe. Details via my signature links. One of the few delete mods that gets my vote.
    Yep, I'm expecting the worst case but hoping for the best. I still haven't tried to fire it up yet, with the short days by the time I get out of work it's dark out. Hopefully this weekend or next week I'll have to time to play with it.

I was reading through that site and saw the recommendation to delete the water injection solenoid. I will definitely take a look at that and remove it if it hasn't already been done. It looks like that is a mod for the 800's only, is that correct?

Looks like I'll also need to build a diganostic cable and adapter while I'm at it... Could be handy
    Last edited by ThrottleOut; 12-20-2012 at 09:27 AM.

+1
    Only the Ficht two cylinder 800 engine has the water injection solenoid.

I recommend installing a dummy resistor in place of the solenoid to prevent the EMM issuing a trouble code for the missing solenoid. Makes it easier to focus on any other service codes you may find, with the desired target of 1 1, aka no trouble codes at all.

+1
    Welcome home Virage! I figured I needed to either get another trailer or build a stand. So, I threw a WTB ad on Craigslist and someone responded with a trailer. It's a cheap one but it'll work for winter storage and will probably just get sold off with a ski in the spring anyways.

Fortunately it thawed out and it looks good. Hull is overall in pretty good shape with no major damage. A small chip in the gelcoat near the front and some very light scrapes on the bottom.

I found the water injection solenoid... With one connector removed/broken and the unit tucked down by the exhaust pipe...

I suspect this is where it was supposed to be connected? This is on the hull side of the exhaust pipe near the top of the pipe.

I also tried to start it with no luck. It turns over just fine but didn't cough or anything. I also unhooked the TPS and tried again. Looks like I'll need to do some more diagnostics and see what I can find.

+1
    I found the water injection solenoid... With one connector removed/broken and the unit tucked down by the exhaust pipe...
    I suspect this is where it was supposed to be connected? This is on the hull side of the exhaust pipe near the top of the pipe.
    That is indeed the fitting on the exhaust pipe where the water injection solenoid feeds into the exhaust pipe.

Remove that hose barb and hose stub and cap it off with a brass fitting.

Then follow the water injection solenoid hose back and remove and simplify the water hoses down there.

My signature links show some more details on the delete process.

+1
    Weight reduction stage 1: Complete!

I got the solenoid and all the tubing removed this morning and just finished building a plug-in resistor 'harness' to replace the solenoid. Now I just need to get a cap for the exhaust pipe and this mod will be all set. One thing I think I did differently from the post in your signature link is I'm going to use the long section of tubing to replace splicing the two lines together in the one section that runs from the EMM outlet to the rear-exit exhaust. One less place to leak.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Have fun! Getting the emm out is not an easy as you would think. Not a bad plan. Just be careful as the nipple fittings on the emm are plastic.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information