+1

Question Checking for broken motor mounts? Maintenance for an ex-rental?

I tried searching a couple times and I haven't had much success so sorry if this topic's been covered before. How do I check the motor mounts on my VX? Ive looked at them and felt them the best I could but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Is the engine supposed to move a bit when you pull or push on it? I'd think it is so you don't feel the vibration through the hull. I've heard the stories about wake and wave jumping and finding out you've broken motor mounts so I've gotten a bit paranoid about this as I do a lot of jumping

Any tips or a good procedure would be helpful, or just a simple "you're overthinking this, You're fine"
    Also, any big maintenance I should look at for an ex-rental ski? It's winter now so I do all the work now and ride through the summer.

Thanks! All help appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-21 10.43.14.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	288892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-01 14.58.09.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	288893

+1
    I dont own a VX, but checking the motor mounts every once and a while is a good habit. I just reach down there and make sure all the bolts are good and tight and nothing feels out of place. A good tip I do is take my iPhone and take a pic of the motor mounts bc it is hard to get your head all the way down there to see it.

As far as maintenance, how many hours? Regardless of hours I would change the oil, filter, plugs, and even perhaps the air filter. A common issue I have seen on rentals is people drive them up on the beach which can cause prop/ pump damage from sucking stuff up such as sand, rocks, and shells. You could pull the pump to check, or if it feels good on the water a simple look with a flashlight will probably be enough. Finally, check out a VX service manual... best thing you can use for maintence! They are like 70$.... but I know theres a lot of people on here who have free digital copies. (I dont tho). Hope that helps!

+1
    pull on the motor, if they are broken, it will lift or move excessively, the chances are slim on a VX tho

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I dont own a VX, but checking the motor mounts every once and a while is a good habit. I just reach down there and make sure all the bolts are good and tight and nothing feels out of place. A good tip I do is take my iPhone and take a pic of the motor mounts bc it is hard to get your head all the way down there to see it.

As far as maintenance, how many hours? Regardless of hours I would change the oil, filter, plugs, and even perhaps the air filter. A common issue I have seen on rentals is people drive them up on the beach which can cause prop/ pump damage from sucking stuff up such as sand, rocks, and shells. You could pull the pump to check, or if it feels good on the water a simple look with a flashlight will probably be enough. Finally, check out a VX service manual... best thing you can use for maintence! They are like 70$.... but I know theres a lot of people on here who have free digital copies. (I dont tho). Hope that helps!
    I've owned it for 2 seasons now and bought it not knowing the display was swapped out of a much "lower" hour ski. It has probably over around 500 hours on it now according to yamahas computers. So I've done the general things like Air filter, oil, plugs, impeller, pump bearing grease, etc. But after starting to run into some issues this last season such as an accelerator position sensor, one bad coil pack melting, and probably harness issues now, I've become a little paranoid about the rest. When you pull on the engine does it move a little? its not excessive, maybe an inch. All the bolts feel tight, the reason I'm asking is I've been doing a lot of jumping of 5-8ft waves and have had some rough landings. Already have a manual too but thanks for all the advice! I appreciate it

+1
    An inch is huge If you get that much play and with that many hours, you might as well replace them. I am sure you'd rather not have a sunk ski and an entire rebuild then to buy 3 motor mounts or whatever they use. Get some pics if you plan on doing them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    pull on the motor, if they are broken, it will lift or move excessively, the chances are slim on a VX tho
    +1 find something on each side to grab and pull!

Thread Information